Not Everyone Has a Passion: Follow Your Curiosity Instead

As freshmen in college, we are expected to answer questions that will ultimately outline the direction of our entire lives. What do you want your career to be? What major are you going to choose in order to follow your passion? How are you going to use that major in order to pursue your dream profession? And if you were anything like me as a freshman, your answer might resemble something along the lines of, “How the f**k am I supposed to know what I want to do for the rest of my life?” or “Unfortunately, I have yet to discover my so-called ‘passion,’ so if you could please refrain from asking me those questions ever again I would really appreciate that.” 

Courtesy: Buzzfeed

The truth of the matter is, some of us don’t have the pleasure of knowing what we are truly passionate about so early on in our lives, and some of us may never discover some mysterious undying passion. Which might seem like a hard pill to swallow, but according to Liz Gilbert, maybe not… 

Courtesy: Buzzfeed

Liz Gilbert is the author of the novel Eat, Pray, Love, and in 2014 she gave a speech on SuperSoul.TV titled “Flight of the Hummingbird – A Curiosity Driven Life.” During this speech she acknowledges that although she discovered her own passion for writing as a young girl, there are a lot of people who, no matter how much searching they seem to do, cannot find that special something they are truly passionate about. Instead of one ultimate passion, Liz has found that a majority of people seems to have many different topics that interest them and many different paths they are interested in pursuing. They are hummingbirds flying from one flower to the next, following their curiosity and allowing it to take them places they never could have imagined. 

Courtesy: WordPress

If you’re not exactly sure what you plan on doing with yourself once you graduate from college, or you’re not sure what you plan on studying during your time as an undergraduate, I’m here to tell you that that’s okay and that you’re not the only one who is uncertain of their future. The best advice that I can give to you is the advice of Liz Gilbert: always follow your curiosity. Take a second to think about what you find interesting, what you find enjoyable, and what you want to be doing right now in this moment. Figure out what that is and go for it –  what better time than now? 

Courtesy: Buzzfeed

For those of you who can’t seem to pinpoint one specific passion or any passion at all, choosing a major can seem like a daunting and cruel joke. But one thing that is important to keep in mind, and will hopefully take a little pressure off of picking a major, is that whatever you choose to study in college does not necessarily bind you to one specific profession for the rest of your life. There are a lot of broad majors to choose from, which will allow you to explore your own interests while still following a structured path. This could be anything from Business, to English to Communications. Another thing to keep in mind is to never be afraid to switch majors if you’re not sure you chose the right one. Switching my major was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made, but I never would have known had I stayed in the major I had originally chosen. 

Once you decide on a major you believe will push you in the right direction and allow you the most room to move around in, join a few clubs that interest you! Don’t just think about joining them – actually join them. You’ll be happy you did. What better way to follow your curiosity than to hang out with a room full of people who are curious about the same things you are? It doesn’t even have to do with a specific career path. Join Swing Club or CrossFit Club or the softball team. Sometimes the universe has a way of letting great things fall into your lap if you’re just willing to take the first step. 

Above all else, never feel discouraged or inferior because you didn’t know you’ve wanted to be a surgeon since the age of seven, or a politician since the age of fifteen. You might not know where your life is going to take you, and that might seem scary at times, but there is a whole world out there that is waiting for you to see all that is has to offer. You are a hummingbird who is capable of flying to every flower in your path, and that is something to be excited about! Don’t be afraid to follow your heart. Who knows where the next flower will lead?  

I'm a junior at Florida State University, double majoring in Editing, Writing and Media and Media Communication Studies. I love every kind of music and find the most joy in life when I'm at a concert. Writing and cleaning are my two favorite hobbies, and my Netflix queue tends to consist of cooking shows and teen dramas (The Great British Bake Off and Thirteen Reasons Why are my current favorites).
Her Campus at Florida State University.