Culture > News

NOT CLICKBAIT: Trisha Paytas and David Dobrik Feud Explained

The Vlog Squad has been under fire on reports of various incidents from former members who used to regularly film with them. It started with a few claims and whisperings in 2019, such as 24-year-old David Cavillo dating a 17-year-old he met on Bumble. This was one of the first accusations from Trisha Paytas that was woven into her break-up video about Jason Nash, which has since been deleted. Things were then quiet until February when Seth Francois made a claim on the H3H3 Podcast about his uncomfortable experience regarding lack of consent in a kissing prank that was then published to the vlogs. The squad has had most of their allegations surrounding lack of consent, underage intoxication and the claim of taking things too far. They profess to have the goal of entertaining and inspiring the masses, but at what cost to the members of the Vlog Squad and those who become entangled with them?

Following Francois’s claim on the podcast, Trisha Paytas came forward with some further allegations about the gray areas and boundaries crossed by the squad. She made claims that David turns a blind eye to what the rest of the squad does. Calling him “tight-lipped” despite the shadiness that was happening on and off camera.

Apps upclose on a phone
Pixabay / Pexels
Since her breakup with Jason Nash, Trisha Paytas has actively attempted to rebrand herself and build credibility in calling out the shortcomings and manipulation by the friend group. She has stood by her claims of the Vlog Squad’s persistent ignorance of underage activity, and this was further perpetuated by the woman who testified to being sexually assaulted by former member, “Durte Dom.” The claim by the student, who was under legal drinking age at the time, was that Dominykas Zeglaitis took advantage of her after being provided libations by David and the members of the Vlog Squad. The now-deleted vlog was posted with David’s narration of how  “Dom made progress” on coercing the girls to sleep with him. Contrary to what was seen in the video, Dobrik’s lawyer made a statement claiming, “Anyone who knows him knows he does not condone misconduct in any form. Vlog participants provide consent before anything is posted. Whenever consent is retracted, posts are removed. Any insinuation of wrongdoing is inaccurate and defamatory.”

A month after the drama surfaced amongst these three former members, on March 16, David Dobrik released a two-minute and thirty-second YouTube-style apology video entitled “Let’s Talk.” In the video, he basically delivers his apologies and condolences and says, “I have been really disappointed with some of my friends,” displacing himself from the situation.

Paytas rebutted the apology video, with a video entitled “David turned off comments but I am not…” She claims that the repetition of similar allegations no longer allows Dobrik to label them as “mistakes.” She delved into how despite Dobrik’s lawyer’s statement on consent, they take the term very loosely and publish content with a lot of gray area from those involved. She called the video “cowardly” and claimed Dobrik is missing the whole point. It is impossible to distance himself from trauma caused by his friends when all videos and content are approved and published by him. Dobrik and the Vlog Squad seem to stretch the definition and boundaries of the word consent and are facing repercussions under the public eye.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

School: Florida State University Year: Sophomore Majors: Editing, Writing & Media, Psychology
Her Campus at Florida State University.