Noah Kahan Brings Us Through Reminiscence, Heartache and Mental Health on His Newest Album “Stick Season”

I’m sure by now we’ve all heard Noah Kahan’s super catchy song, “Stick Season,” where he sings about nostalgically missing an ex-lover in the winter. The song initially went viral on TikTok in August, with covers and rewrites popping up all over the app. Today, the song has been streamed over 48 million times on Spotify.

Everyone loved the catchy melodies in the chorus and the emotional lyrics. The resulting album, Stick Season, was released on Oct. 14, and it did not disappoint. Kahan is known for writing about his love of the northeast and how his childhood there molded him into the person he is now. The album is full of imagery of winter in New England, featuring a cozy guitar. It’s a perfect no-skip album to listen to on those colder days on campus. Here are a few of my personal favorite tracks on the album:

1. “All My Love”

This song is definitely landing a spot on my Spotify Wrapped. The song is about forgiving someone, while still harboring love and appreciation for them. While the lyrics feel nostalgic and downcast, the song is still upbeat and catchy, giving the song a cheery atmosphere.

2. “Homesick”

After releasing Stick Season, Kahan described it as an album “for the restless dreamers, creating universes in their heads.” That’s exactly how this track feels. The euphoric production of this song makes it so fun to listen to and makes me want to go buy a cabin in the woods in New England and never come back.

3. “Orange Juice”

Orange Juice is a heart-wrenching conversation occurring between two people, seeing each other for the first time after one got sober. The haunting details of recounting a loved one’s struggle with alcoholism makes this song incredibly emotional and difficult to listen to. This somber track is a testament to Kahan’s talent for lyricism and storytelling.

4. “She calls Me Back”

This track details waiting in a one-sided small town for a romance for a gesture as small as a callback, which means the world to the speaker. This song is also super upbeat and has the same feel as songs like “She’s on the Loose” by Niall Horan.

5. “Everywhere, Everything”

I’m not going to lie. At first, this track was not one of my favorites. However, after reading through the lyrics, I fell in love with this song. It describes a ghastly, endless love for someone and wanting to be with them desperately. The writing of this song reminds me of Hozier’s writing style and the mood of this song is remarkable.

Kahan beautifully captures the nuances and intricacy of heartbreak and nostalgia in the lyrics of the album. The aesthetic pleasure of this album is ridiculous. In addition to the atmosphere Kahan created, I also love that he openly writes about mental health. We can see this in tracks like “Orange Juice” and the title track, “Stick Season.” Kahan’s ability to remain vulnerable throughout the album and disclose so much emotion makes Stick Season hit astonishingly close to home.

Overall, this album is stunning lyrically and melodically. It’s a must-listen for this winter. It makes me want to get in my car, drive to Vermont with someone I love and watch the winter pass while wearing warm coats.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!