Girl with long, dark hair holding a big grasshopper on the palm of her hand
Photo by Noah Barguez-Arias
Career

Noah Barguez-Arias, Passionate For Conserving Florida’s Insects

What most would think of as an unusual field is her life’s passion. This bug-loving, Miami-native, 20-year-old’s life is anything but ordinary. Noah Barguez-Arias is a future entomologist and an insect conservationist, who is passionate about making the world a better place with her skills and knowledge, and who just wants to have a positive impact for all. 

She is a second-year student at the University of Florida (UF), where she is majoring in entomology—the study of insects—and minoring in ecology and wildlife conservation. She hopes to one day be able to help others with her abilities and help preserve and bring more awareness to the essentiality of all bugs, which are vital for life on Earth. 

When she was asked what her favorite insect was, she hesitated a bit and in between laughs explained that this is a very tough question for her to answer. She elaborated, “There’s way too many beautiful and impressive species out there; I always change my answer. One of my all-time favorites, though, would be Antlions, or any species in the family myrmeleontidae.” She went on to further explain that these are most commonly known as larvae and talked about some technicalities behind the species. “I find their appearance adorable and their behaviors fascinating,” Noah said, and that to her, their attitudes look almost like small humans interacting, which allow them to resonate with her on a more personal level. 

Her love for insects began early on. Back in her early middle school years, when she was recruited to participate in the Science Olympiad, she competed in the entomology category and fell in love with this field. As she learned more and more about it, her interest grew, and she thought to herself, “Cool!” Noah explained, “I just fell in love with [insects] and wanted to dedicate my life to studying them more.” This sentiment was only cultivated as she was growing up, eventually leading her to a career based on it. 

Girl with red shirt and jeans holding a net.
Photo by Noah Barguez-Arias

Barguez-Arias went on to illustrate the variety of work that an entomologist can do and disclosed that due to the endless possibilities, her future plans are not too clear at the moment and therefore, wants to take the time to continue exploring this field to then go into a profession that she is really passionate about. She was very expressive about her entomology research and would like to work in insect conservation and their dwindling populations. She is a very active member in the University of Florida’s Bug Club, where she enjoys trips for outreach events, insect collecting and helping at local gardens. 

The endless opportunities that attract her include apiculture, which is also known as beekeeping. Barguez-Arias understands that bees are a very essential part of the Earth’s ecosystems and wants to help preserve them. She is extensively educated in this area and sees herself possibly starting her own apiculture business in the future. 

In 10 years from now, she sees herself still doing research and possibly staying in Gainesville, where due to the geographical location of the city—where even the university’s football field is often referred to as “The Swamp”—there are numerous opportunities for her to continue studying insects. Her dream in life is to be able to live and work comfortably while making a difference in the world with her skills however she can, even if that difference is small and subtle or even if it just makes others happy, she explains that that would be enough. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYoutube and Pinterest!

Cynthia is a senior working toward obtaining a degree in International Relations, and two minors in Geography and Economics from Florida State University. She loves to watch historical documentaries, read, and cook in her spare time. You can also find her outside exploring nature or inside spending time with family and friends, and occasionally imagining a life in the South of France.