No Place to Call Home: The Ongoing Crisis in Puerto Rico

This past break, I saw a lot of my family who are from the island of Puerto Rico. It was amazing to see them all for the holidays, but it was devastating to realize they weren’t just here to visit. Ever since Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico back in September it has been chaos on the island. My family who was there, which consisted of my grandmother, godmother and godfather, have been in Florida since early October, as they fled to the United States in search of comfort and support after Hurricane Maria. For almost four months they have been living without a place to call home, bouncing between family members’ houses. After talking with my family, I was shocked to hear that a large portion of the island is still without power and that availability of basic foods is sparse. They were amazed to come to a grocery store here in the US and so easily find things such as carrots, potatoes and other basic necessities. 

Courtesy: Fox News

While speaking to my mom about this issue (her side of the family lives on the island) she expressed to me how displaced they feel. While it may seem like an ongoing vacation for a bit, back home there is nothing for them. The struggle of returning to the island is hard to comprehend, but our family is getting tired of not having a place to settle down that truly feels like home.

There is some progress in building back up the infrastructure, but it’s still an issue. Our current government believes they have given plenty of support, but with about 40% of the island still without power, there is still a lot to be done. Puerto Rico was supposed to get a $4.9 billion loan to help with recovery efforts, but the Trump administration refuses, claiming they have enough money stored away. The island has been struggling with financial difficulties for a long time now, even before Hurricane Maria. Speed bumps they need to get over like this one have made recovery take even longer.    

My godmother, who lives in the town of San Sebastián on the island, was sharing with me how the governor of her town was tired of waiting for help. They began to rally members of the community to help bring power back. Anybody who had the knowledge volunteered to help get at least some power running back up. The people of Puerto Rico are a strong and united group, and they are working together to help each other as a community get back to a better place. With the conditions they are currently under, cooperation and community are what’s helping these people get along.

Courtesy: CNBC

Not only is power a problem, but also access to healthcare is an ongoing struggle. Prior to the disaster, healthcare was already an issue, but with what has happened, many doctors have fled. The amount of healthcare professionals is minimal, and there’s not enough to help everyone on the island. Families who fled claim that in order to get a doctor’s appointment, you had to get there as early as five in the morning, and that still wouldn’t guarantee you one.

Unfortunately, under all these circumstances, it’s becoming increasingly difficult for people to stay on the island, and the feeling of displacement is growing. To find out more about how you can help, click here

Media/Communication studies major with a passion for music, makeup and puppies!
Her Campus at Florida State University.