Nisha Prabhu: Inspiring Others While Traveling across the World

Name: Nisha Prabhu

Year: Junior

Major: Biology (Pre-med)

Hometown: Roswell, GA

Involvement: MedLife, Alpha Omicron Pi, AMWA (American Medical Women’s Association), FORCE

Relationship Status: Single

Her Campus (HC): So Nisha, why did you choose FSU?

Nisha Prabhu (NP): Though I’m from Georgia, I used to live in Jacksonville and I am blessed enough to have a dad to start my college fund with Florida prepaid.  I didn’t know anything about any Florida schools, so I did a lot of college tours, and I found there was a difference in atmosphere in each school I visited.  I saw the interactions between the University Ambassadors at Florida State and it felt really genuine.  I loved the atmosphere here at FSU and thought it would be perfect for someone like me.

HC: What has been your favorite part about your FSU experience so far?

NP: There are so many amazing things that have happened, I can’t just choose one!  Joining my sorority, Alpha Omicron Pi, has helped transform my ideas about Greek life and my own life. I didn’t realize how many amazing women there are in these organizations; they’ve inspired me to try different things and be a better version of myself.  I also really liked participating in Relay for Life last year because it showed me how much this campus cares about making a difference. For me, FSU isn’t just a school, it’s my home away from home because I don’t have any connections to Florida other than FSU.  When I see everyone put aside their differences to come together, it just warms my heart.

HC: If you could live in outer space, underwater, or on a deserted island, what would you choose?

NP: Definitely outer space because I am obsessed with star gazing – I have a star walk app on my phone. With all of the stresses in the world, it calms me down to look at the stars and realize that your problems aren’t as big as they seem.

HC: Do you have a favorite book?

NP: Yes, Looking for Alaska – I love that book. There’s a quote from it that says “I go to seek the great perhaps,” and I just love it because I feel like it describes my view of the world.  In college, I’m just trying to find myself, I’m open to anything and I am always looking forward to the new adventures that life throws my way. I also travel a lot, so I find it particularly relevant.

HC: You said you like to travel a lot – where are some of the coolest places you’ve been to?

NP: India for starters, because I got to learn more about my culture and meet a lot of my family that I haven’t met before because I was brought up in the U.S.  The second place I fell head-over-heels for was Greece; I love Mediterranean food, so everything I ate there was delicious. There was a lot of history to be seen there, and it is a very picturesque place. This winter break, I went to the Maldives as well.

HC: Wow, that’s amazing!  Do you plan to keep traveling in the future?

NP: I’d like to continue my dad’s tradition he created for our family.   When I was in the fourth grade, my dad took us on our first trip; we went to India, London, and Dubai. He promised that he would take us to see six of the seven continents before I graduated high school.  My dad realized that you only have one life to live and he wanted to immerse us in as many different cultures and introduce us to as many different places as possible.  I’m so grateful for every opportunity I’ve been provided with.

HC: What do you think is the most important quality that a person can possess?

NP: Open-mindedness and positivity. Being open to what other people have to say and being accepting of others for who they are is so important.  We have to choose to see the positive in every situation. If more people were like that then we’d have less world problems

**Nisha’s life goal is to be as inspiring and awesome as Kid President**

Her Campus at Florida State University.