Nine Ladies Who Are Killing It In The Music Industry

The music industry has always been a male-dominated world, but recently more and more women have been stepping into the spotlight. Everyone knows about Beyoncé and Lorde, who have both become something of music royalty, and the feminist punk outfit Pussy Riot from Russia, but not everyone is familiar with many of the following ladies. These nine women are taking the music world by storm, and aren’t letting anyone water down their voices.

1.  Lily Allen

Lily Allen is an English singer who has become known for calling everything like she sees it, and she’s someone who does not back down from her opinions. She released the first single for her upcoming album Sheezus, “Hard Out Here” in late 2013. In this track (and especially in the music video), Allen points out some of the double standards women have to face, like body image and sexuality.

2.  Alexis Krauss

Alexis Krauss is the front woman of the band Sleigh Bells based in Brooklyn. She partnered up with band mate Derek Miller in 2008 to create what some call aggressive thrash pop. The band has released three studio albums since their formation.

3.  Laura Jane Grace

Laura Jane Grace is the lead singer in Florida punk band Against Me!. She started Against Me! as a solo act 17 years ago in Gainesville, but has since developed into a full band. In 2012, Grace came out as a transgender woman, which prompted the band’s 2014 release of Transgender Dysphoria Blues.

4.  Karen O.

Karen O. is the lead singer of the alternative rock band, Yeah Yeah Yeahs. The band has released four full-length albums, with their latest one out in April of last year. Karen O. was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song this year for “The Moon Song” in Her.

5.  Meredith Graves      

Meredith Graves has recently gained a lot of recognition from fronting the band Perfect Pussy out of New York. The band is a punk group with distorted screaming vocals that are aligned with Graves’ feminist outlook. The band played South by Southwest this past week and has received a lot of praise for their performance.

6.  Sirah

Sirah is an American rapper out of Los Angeles. Her influences range from Cat Stevens to Joni Mitchell to Jewel. She started releasing music with various artists in 2007. In 2012, Sirah received the Best Dance Recording Grammy for being featured on Skrillex’s “Bangarang.”

7.  Sadie Dupuis

Sadie Dupuis is the singer in the indie rock band Speedy Ortiz. She started the band as a solo project, and released the band’s first EP and studio album by herself. The other three members of the band joined in 2012, and they have gone on to release two more EPs and one more album.

8.     St. Vincent

Annie Clark a.k.a. St. Vincent is a singer-songwriter originally from Oklahoma. She has released four EPs and five studio albums with the most recent LP coming out in February. St. Vincent has toured with Grizzly Bear, David Byrne, and Death Cab for Cutie, among others, and is taking over the indie pop scene.

9.     M.I.A. 

Mathangi Arulpragasam is the full name of UK rapper M.I.A. Most people know her for her single “Paper Planes,” which appeared in Pineapple Express. She recently released her fourth studio album in November of last year. In 2010, Time listed her as one of the 100 most influential people in the world.

Kayla Jewell is a senior Editing, Writing, and Media major at Florida State University, minoring in Communications and Film Studies. She doesn't like to think about what happens after graduation. When she’s not doing schoolwork, Kayla spends her time stalking celebrities on the internet, taking naps, and going to concerts.
Her Campus at Florida State University.