Running Shoes Water Bottle
Running Shoes Water Bottle
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Culture > News

Nike Launches Inclusive Go FlyeEase Hands-Free Sneakers!

It is no secret that the world was built for non-disabled people. It can be increasingly frustrating for people who are disabled to gain independence from their caregivers when the need to rely on them is so heavy. 

Getting dressed in the morning can be a ritual for some, a perfect time to enjoy one’s privacy. This is, however, not the reality for people in need of assistance when getting dressed. It can be very difficult for people with disabilities to dress independently. The retail and fashion industry does not commonly accommodate the needs of people with disabilities, making it hard for those wishing to follow trends, fit in and enjoy mainstream clothing to do so. 

This is where adaptive clothing comes in. Adaptive items use various discreet mechanisms such as magnets and Velcro to make getting dressed an easier task, while still having the appearance of standard clothing. This growing market has gained traction with Tommy Hilfiger’s Adaptive Spring 2018 collection and Target’s Universal Thread adaptive apparel line as well as their Cat & Jack’s sensory and disability-friendly line for kids late last year. This inclusive clothing allows kids and adults alike to wear clothing they see their friends wearing. 

Nike has jumped in on this growing inclusive trend with the launch of the Go FlyEase sneaker, a hand-free no-lace slip-on sneaker perfect for people with disabilities. This shoe, a part of their FlyEase collection of adaptive apparel, is perfectly accessible and can be taken on and off 100% hands-free! This shoe was inspired by how people often kick off their shoes, usually from the back without undoing their laces. While convenient, this technique usually stretches the back and inevitably ruins the shoe. By incorporating a bi-stable hinge and tensioner, the designers made a shoe that can smoothly open and close without the need to bend down and fidget with your hands. The shoe’s unique design includes a foot-bed platform that is detached from the sneaker’s base. This platform moves up and down, effectively opening and closing the shoe. This shoe also solves the issue that consumers tend to face in which slip-on shoes can be too loose around the foot. It includes a band that wraps around the opening of the shoe and then snaps into place, tightening the shoe comfortably around the user’s foot. 

Within the existing FlyEase collection, different shoes have zippers and other modifications that increase the shoes’ ease of operation, but this Go FlyEase sneaker is the first completely hands-free sneaker released by Nike. The entire line was initiated in 2015 following a plea from Matthew Walzer, a then 16-year-old who wrote an open letter to Nike in 2012 asking the brand to create a line with accessible clothing to help him become completely self-sufficient.

Tennis Shoes And Water Bottle
Her Campus Media

The Nike Go FlyEase sneaker will be available by invite only for select Nike members from Feb. 15 for the price of $120. While the shoes definitely have a hefty price tag, the price is still on par if not slightly cheaper than their typical pricing for mid-range shoes. It is refreshing to see a company charge regular prices for adaptive shoes, rather than the typical upcharge of accessible items. The shoes are set to be released more widely later in 2021. 

The increasing popularity of adaptive clothing is a positive sign for people with disabilities. It indicates that the world is finally moving towards becoming more inclusive and accepting. It’s an exciting step in the right direction, and the industry is just getting started!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Tala Habash is a Florida State student studying International Affairs and Media/Communication Studies and minoring in General Business. She is the Vice President of the Arab Student Union and the Students for Justice in Palestine chapter at FSU. She's a plant mom at heart and loves to read, watch movies, and try new foods! If you ever wanna discuss your persistent One Direction phase, find her on Instagram @tala.habash.
Her Campus at Florida State University.