Nicole Kelley: The Next Big Non-Profit Entrepreneur

Name: Nicole Kelley

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Parkland, FL

Relationship Status: Single

Major: Finance, Entrepreneurship

Involvement on Campus: Gamma Phi Beta, Global Peace Exchange, Young Entrepreneurship Society

Her Campus (HC): For those who don’t know what Little Big Africa is, can you explain a little bit about the organization?

Nicole Kelley (NK): Little Big Africa is a non-profit program that teams up with other university volunteer groups from the United Kingdom and the United States. After a week of intensive training from Little Big Africa, volunteers spend six weeks living in a rural village, undertaking different projects such as protecting the water, constructing a water tank in a primary school, training community members to construct smokeless fuel-efficient stoves, and teaching both students and adult community members [about] serious issues [like] water sanitation and hygiene.

HC: How did you get involved with Little Big Africa?

NK: I found out about the program through one of Florida State’s clubs called Global Peace Exchange.

HC: What is Global Peace Exchange?

NK: Global Peace Exchange is a student-led club. During the summer, teams travel to Ghana, Moldova, Nepal, Rwanda, and Uganda to implement these 8-12 week innovative empowerment projects.

HC: What was your favorite part about living and volunteering in Uganda?

NK: There are so many! One of my favorite parts about living and volunteering in Uganda was probably meeting all the different kinds of people while I was abroad. I’ve gained so much knowledge on their culture, language, and their everyday life. 

HC: Was there a specific moment where you knew you had made a difference?

NK: It was probably the last week we were in the village. So many people in the village would come up to us and tell us how thankful they [were]. A lot of the students had written us letters, telling us how much they [had] learned from us and how they [were] going to maintain what they [learned].

HC: What does volunteering mean to you?

NK:  Honestly, it has truly made me grow and become a better person. It has taught me that the simplest things in life are what truly matter. 

HC: Why did you decide to sell pants to raise money for Little Big Africa?

NK: Little Big Africa is not your normal non-profit. I got to see first-hand how it has made a difference and that my money wasn’t just going anywhere. When I came across these pants, I wanted to buy the whole store. Being in the Entrepreneurship program gave me [the] opportunity to go out and buy these pants in bulk and sell them. Not only am I getting the experience of an entrepreneur, but I am also helping others along the way. I am truly blessed.

HC: How do you see your business expanding? Can you see yourself selling more than just pants?

NK: My goal is to become a business owner like “Toms” shoes. I could definitely see my business expanding into something else.

HC: How can people buy your pants?

NK: I will have a table at Market Wednesday! They come in all different colors! If customers do not have cash on them, I have a card reader. Each pair is $25 with all the proceeds going to Little Big Africa.

HC: Do you plan on going back to Uganda? 

NK: 100%. Uganda almost feels like my second home. Africa is very misperceived in America. I recommend that everyone should take a visit!

Taylor Dickey is a Sophomore at The Florida State University who is majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Hospitality Management. She hopes to work in the Fashion and/or Entertainment industry one day as a Public Relations Manager for a designer, an Art Director for a brand, or a Fashion Event Planner. She is interested and well-versed in Marketing & Communications, Social Media, Event Planning, Brand Management, and Graphic Design. Originally from Houston, Texas, Taylor loves fashion, baking, laughing, the beach, and doing anything creative. She dreams big, loves with all her heart, and has an obsession with Pinterest.
Her Campus at Florida State University.