NFL Draft Recap

Florida State University’s senior quarterback, EJ Manuel, won big at the 2013 NFL Draft. As a true ‘Noles fan, it was shocking and yet amazing to hear the Buffalo Bills announce EJ Manuel as the #16 draft pick – the first (and only) quarterback to get drafted in the first round. Some can blame the mediocre talent of quarterbacks this year, and some can say that it was complete garbage and Geno Smith should have been drafted first.  However I see it as a blessing for Manuel and a testimony to his strength and character.

There have been many times when I watched E.J. lead the Noles to victory with amazing throw and quick thinking, but there have also been moments where his lack of confidence and trust has cost FSU a very easy win. These are the types of moments that have many sports fans questioning his ability to play great professional football. He is talented, but is he first round draft pick talented? In an interview following his victory, he was questioned by FSU alum Deion Sanders about how he felt after hearing his name called. Manuel replied that he was very happy and saw it as a blessing. He thought about the ups and downs ad sacrifices his family has gone through to get him there and he especially thought of his mom, Jackie Manuel, who was fighting breast cancer during his senior year and is still going through remission. Manuel let the tears he was holding back fall and showed how honestly overjoyed he was.

If you ask me, he deserved everything he got. This guy has gone through painful period with grace and unclouded judgment.  He is an amazing 6’5” and 241 pounds with an amazing arm, running ability and potential to learn. ESPN analyst however shocked they were, believe that Manuel is an outstanding man who can be molded into the type of player the Bills franchise need.

Along with E.J. Manuel, there were a couple of other Florida State players that got drafted in the first round. The Indianapolis Colts at draft pick 24 chose Junior outside linebacker Bjorn Werner. We are familiar with his bone crushing tackles on the Seminoles field and timid laugh outside of the field. (Fun fact: Werner left college his sophomore year because he missed his family and girlfriend. When he returned, he was married to his high school sweetheart. Aww.) Florida State’s cornerback Xavier Rhodes was also drafted in round one by the Minnesota Vikings as draft pick number 25. Coming from the heat of Miami and Tallahassee, I wonder how he’ll fair in Minnesota. This is the first time Florida State has had this many players drafted in the first round since 2006.  Coach Jimbo Fisher even flew to New York to support and celebrate his formers players’ success.

Fortunately for the Florida State first round picks, there is another brother waiting for them in their new home. E.J. Manuel will join Nigel Bradham in Buffalo, New York, Xavier Rhodes will join former FSU quarterback Christian Ponder in Minneapolis, Minnesota and Bjorn Werner will join Andrew Luck (technically he’s not from FSU, but it’s still cool). Menelik Watson was drafted by the Oakland Raiders (42) and Cornelius “Tank” Carradine was drafted by the San Francisco 49rs (40) during the second round.

Congratulations to the FSU athletes who found a new home in professional American football. I wish them the best of luck and a bounty of blessings on the new chapter in their lives. 

My name is Mary Love and I'm a Senior and double major in English and Hotel Management at Florida State University.  I am more commonly found writing fiction pieces, and editing everything I can.  Her Campus is my first venture into published nonfiction and women's magazines.  I think Her Campus is a great resource for women who are both smart and feminine.  If you would like to contact me for an interview or to answer a Zodiac Question as Madame Mary, please email marylove@hercampus.com.