With the announcement of her newest stadium tour, Taylor Swift revealed the artists who will open the concerts; singer Phoebe Bridgers and indie bands Paramore and girl in red are just a few of the draws. While these celebs are definitely able to turn heads at the mention of their names, a few are rather underground stars, one being female singer-songwriter GAYLE.

GAYLE is an up-and-coming pop-punk rockstar that has risen to fame since the debut of her hit song “abcdefu” in August 2021, when she was just 17. She was born and raised in Dallas, Texas but has lived in Nashville for the past couple of years to pursue her career. She signed with a major label Atlantic Records circa 2018. Shortly after its release, “abcdefu” reached the top of the charts and went viral on TikTok and Spotify. In January 2022, she released her song “ur just horny” and later her first EP, a study of the human experience volume one. She also performed on Jimmy Fallon’s The Tonight Show. She recently completed her Feeling it Together tour, which had an international date in London. She even opened for the alternative-pop band AJR on their most recent tour. More recently, she has performed at various music festivals, such as Austin City Limits and the North Carolina Breakaway Music Festival, and she released a collab with artist blackbear in late October called “fmk.”

GAYLE is not your typical 18-year-old; She unapologetically expresses her bad-ass self through her music, unafraid of repercussions.

In an interview with The Honey Pop about “abcdefu” she told them, “Unfortunately, I felt like writing a song about telling my ex and his entire family to f*ck off. Breaking into his home to film the music video might have been a little much.”

To the dismay of her devout fans, she, unfortunately, canceled her second tour Avoiding College to focus on herself and to learn “how best to do this new life.” However, she will be continuing to write and make new music.

When GAYLE’s collaboration with Taylor’s Eras Tour was first announced last week, her fans were absolutely raving. GAYLE, a Swiftie herself, is out-of-this-world ecstatic to be going on tour with one of her all-time idols. Coincidentally, at the 2022 Nashville Songwriter Awards this past September, GAYLE had the chance to meet Taylor in person; she posted a selfie with Swift on her Instagram story captioned, “I’ve died and come back to life.” She highlighted the rest of her experience on her Instagram reels, including her reaction to Taylor’s riveting performance of “All Too Well (10 Minute Version)”.

Many say GAYLE is genuinely deserving of the spotlight. Her angsty, teen edge, alongside her sarcastic and witty sense of humor, makes her not only appealing but relatable. She is so engaging with her fans and ungodly captivating when performing; she was truly born to be a star. Her career has really kick-started this past year, and much of the world cannot wait to see her continue to grow as an artist.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Isabelle Bruty is a current freshman at Florida State University, and is majoring in English: Editing, Writing & Media (EWM). She loves fashion, makeup, Netflix, travel and anything pink. When she isn't writing or studying, she is out playing tennis, scrolling through TikTok or binging the next new show.