Tomdaya Engagement Rumors: Why I Choose to Just Mind My Business

America’s favorite couple, despite one of them being British, Tom Holland and Zendaya. Tom Holland is a 26-year-old English actor. Zendaya, also 26, is an Emmy award-winning actress who most people were first introduced to when she starred in the Disney Channel show Shake it Up. In 2019, Zendaya began starring as Rue in HBO and A24’s Euphoria. She earned her first Emmy for this role in 2020, making her the youngest woman to win an Emmy for Lead Actress in a Drama.

Holland was cast as Peter Parker/Spider-Man in 2015, beating out many other young actors for the role. He has appeared as the character in Captain America: Civil War, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers: Endgame, Spider-Man: Far From Home and Spider-Man: No Way Home. The two met when they starred as Peter Parker and MJ in Spider-Man: Homecoming in 2016. Dating rumors have been sparked about the two many times since then, but the pair each seemed to be dating Jacob Elordi and Nadia Parks, respectively.

In the summer of 2021, the Zendaya and Tom Holland shippers rejoiced on Twitter when pictures began circling of the two kissing at a red light in Los Angeles. The couple has now been together for over a year and have kept their relationship mostly private for that time. In November 2021, Tom Holland (sort of) confirmed the relationship in an interview with GQ. He said in the interview, “one of the downsides of our fame is that privacy isn’t really in our control anymore, and a moment that you think is between two people that love each other very much is now a moment that is shared with the entire world.”

As a fellow person raised on the internet, I feel sympathy for them. Maybe it is none of our business. I know that we mean well. But so many of us can understand the feeling of living our lives online. I can’t even begin to imagine the pressure of millions of people feeling as though they are somehow entitled to details about my personal life. They do share some little pieces with the world, the pair are known for their adorable birthday messages to each other on social media. Zendaya posted on Jun. 1 for Holland’s birthday, writing, “Happiest of birthdays to the one who makes me the happiest.” 

This is not the first or even the second time a Spider-Man has fallen in love with his costar. The tradition began with Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst, who began dating while working on the first film of Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man trilogy in 2001. The pair broke up just before filming began on the sequel. Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone costarred in two The Amazing Spider-Man films together as Peter Parker and Gwen Stacey. They dated for four years after meeting during the first movie and broke up in 2015. 

Every so often this year, I’ve seen on Twitter that the pair have gotten engaged without any evidence. This week the rumors seemed to be the loudest they have ever been. Zendaya’s mom, Claire Stoermer, even seems to have thrown some shade that could put these rumors to bed with a single screenshot posted to her Instagram story. The screenshot, courtesy of Elle magazine contains a dictionary definition of clickbait, it reads, “Clickbait typically refers to the practice of writing sensationalized or misleading headlines in order to attract clicks on a piece of content.” She has a point.

We should consider if there’s any truth to random claims about people’s personal lives. I think that even though we love their cute red-carpet moments and sweet birthday messages, we shouldn’t ask for more. These two will share what they want to share when they want to, and we should all respect that.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Jenna is a freshman this year at FSU. This is her first year writing for Her Campus and she is very excited to join the team!