A Complete Rundown of the Most Anticipated Movies of September

As we hurdle through September, it seems there are plenty of movies on everyone’s watchlist. With so many options, I’ve decided to create a condensed report of the top ten highest anticipated movies released this month.

Pinocchio, SepT. 8

While there is some pushback on yet another live-action remake of a classic Disney story, Pinocchio is backed by a cast starring Tom Hanks, Luke Evans and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. It is also directed by Robert Zemeckis, known for films such as Back to the Future, Forest Gump and many more. While many were very excited to see this performance, the film already has a 27 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. To go see which reviews you agree with watch now on Disney+.

Barbarian, SepT. 9

New horror movie, Barbarian, already has an impressive 93 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. The film stars Bill Skarsgård, Zach Cregger and Georgina Campbell. The plot surrounds a woman who stays in a rental house with a surprise stranger. As the film continues, more and more horrors are revealed in this house. Many say that this film could be one of the best horror films of the year.

Pearl, SepT. 16

Another A24 horror film hit theaters this month. The film Pearl surrounds star Mia Goth as we watch her struggle to escape her troubled family life in the early twentieth century. The film has already received a score of 86 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. It’s been said that this film has A24’s classic touch of artistic direction as it pushes the boundaries of modern horror. Get tickets now to start fall off right with this horror movie.

Do Revenge, SepT. 16

Do Revenge, one of Netflix’s newly most anticipated originals, stars Camila Mendes and Maya Hawke as they navigate high school horrors and friendships. This movie has a 1980s comedy feel to it, and many are excited to see what Netflix has in store for us this month. Already sitting on a score of 85 percent from Rotten Tomatoes, this movie sounds like it could be the hit of the fall.

Blonde, SepT. 16

Blonde, another one of Netflix’s highly anticipated originals, surrounds the tragic life of Marilyn Monroe. Based on the book by Joyce Carol Oates and starring Ana de Armas, this film has already received a score of 82 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. Some are saying that the performance given by Ana de Armas is Oscar-worthy, while others say that this depiction of Marylin Monroe was too negative and shed a bad light on the late star. Watch now in select theaters and on Netflix on Sept. 28!

The Woman King, SepT. 16

One of the most highly anticipated films on the list, The Woman King stars Viola Davis as we follow her journey leading an all-female team of warriors during the 1800s. This film has already received an incredibly impressive 94 percent on Rotten Tomatoes and unsurprising praise for Viola Davis’s performance. This film was just released in theaters, so make sure to give it a watch!

See How They Run, SepT. 16

This new comedic-mystery film takes place in 1950s London as the characters deal with a murder case. The movie has a very classic, old Hollywood take on a mystery film while still incorporating modern comedy. The film stars Saoirse Ronan, best known for her roles in Little Women and Lady Bird, and Sam Rockwell, most recently seen in The Bad Guys. The film now sits at 72 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. Go watch it in theaters now!

Don’t Worry Darling, SepT. 23

Ah yes, the film everyone is waiting for, Don’t Worry Darling, directed by Olivia Wilde and stars Harry Styles and Florence Pugh, none of who need an introduction. The film surrounds a young married couple who participate in an experimental community. Drama aside, many are excited to see the newest psychological thriller coming to theaters. Although with all of this insane anticipation, the Rotten Tomato score is only 36 percent as of now.

Smile, SepT. 30

Smile is a new horror film surrounding Dr. Rose Cotter, played by Sosie Bacon, as she deals with bizarre incidents from patients. Soon things take a turn for the worst as she is confronted by terrors of the present and her past. While it is too early for this film to receive a Rotten Tomatoes score, many people say that they are very excited about this new psycho-horror film.

Hocus Pocus 2, SepT. 30

The nearly 30-year wait is almost over. Soon we will have Hocus Pocus 2 on Disney+. While it’s too early to receive their Rotten Tomatoes score, the reviews vary on this movie. There is definitely a sense of nostalgia and childlike joy that many people are searching for in modern movies, yet some people think that these themes have been overplayed lately. The plot surrounds three young women who summon the original main characters of Hocus Pocus, the Sanderson sisters, played by Bette Midler, Kathy Najimy and Sarah Jessica Parker. Make sure to give it a watch this fall.

While not every movie on this list will be everyone’s cup of tea, try to find a movie coming out this month that you might like. This month there really is something for everyone.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

I'm a student at Florida State University, with a passion for writing and creating.