outside of florida state football stadium
Original photo by Lauren Sparling
Life > Academics

The Biggest and Brightest FSU Class Yet

It’s finally 5 o’clock. You bite your lip and try to hide your shaking hands as you log into the Application Status Check for Florida State University (FSU). Your biggest supporters crowd around you, and your mom even has her iPhone out to film your reaction. This was the shared experience of 75,000 first-year applicants this year. According to Hege Ferguson’s Twitter, Director of Admissions at FSU, 12,211 students viewed their admission decision in the first 15 minutes last year and I would imagine this year had even more. Did you get in?

Florida State University’s Office of Admissions released some of the Class of 2026’s statistics last Thursday only hours before sending out early action acceptance emails with a 39 percent acceptance rate! Curious to know what this upcoming class is all about?

Biggest class ever

If you thought the Class of 2025 was big, just sit back and let 2026 come in! FSU received more than 74,000 applicants for the 2022-2023 school year. So many people wanted to come to FSU that they stopped automatically considering students for the summer semester if they were denied for the fall! According to FSU News, there has been a 157 percent increase in first-year applicants since 2016.

Brightest class ever

Not only was the number of applicants unprecedented, but so are the academic scores. This incoming first-year class does not need to worry about Baby Bio!

The middle of 50 percent of students of the 2022 applicants had…
Core GPA: 4.3-4.6
Composite ACT: 29-32
Total SAT: 1300-1430
Number of AP, IB, AICE, or dual-enrolled courses: nine
Number of students who earned all As and Bs: 79 percent

More stem babes

For the last few years, one of the top majors for incoming freshmen was “Undecided.” But for the Class of 2026, it looks like they know what they are doing. This class is more inclined to the sciences. FSU News announced that the top three areas of study for admitted students were:

1. Business
  2. Biological Science
  3. Engineering

More diversity

The class of 2026 includes students from:
● All 50 states
● Washington, D.C.
● All U.S. territories: Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands
● 42 countries

FSU also kept it in-state with 79 percent of the acceptances being from the Sunshine State. The admitted class comes from all 67 counties of Florida.

3,703 are first-generation college students and 1,940 are from rural communities. Accepted students to the Center for Academic Retention and Enhancement (CARE) Summer Bridge Program had a GPA of 3.8-4.4, an SAT of 1040-1190 and an ACT of 20-25. Over 1,300 students completed the supplemental CARE short answer questions and application and 542 students have been offered admission to the program, according to a Zoom call Hege Ferguson did with high school admissions counselors around the state.

More to come?

FSU has admitted over 17,000 students who applied for priority admissions already. 5,000 students were given a deferral for regular admission (this is not a rejection!) The final application deadline isn’t until March 1, and FSU expects to admit a whole lot more students. The final deadline to confirm your attendance at FSU is May 1 and the Office of Admissions expects 6,200 first-year students to come to Tallahassee this fall. More details are available on FSU’s admissions website.

Congratulations to the Class of 2026! We are so excited to meet you!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Ariana White is a Tallahassee native and first-generation college student majoring in Editing, Writing and Media with a minor in Museum Studies and Public Administration at The Florida State University. She is passionate about food justice, women’s rights, arts & culture, and local politics. Ariana has been a staff writer for Her Campus at FSU since January 2021. She has written 20+ articles during her time as a staff writer and leads the column on food sustainability.