The 56th NFL Super Bowl was just around the corner. On Sunday, Feb. 13, the time for food, beer and good old American Football begins! However, the day that follows, Monday, is Valentine’s Day. So, the question stands: What did you celebrate Sunday: Valentine’s or The Super Bowl?

The popular tradition of the Super Bowl has been embedded into American culture since its commencement on Jan. 15, 1967. What lies beneath the popularity of the Super Bowl, along with any other sporting event, is the unpredictability of who triumphs and takes the win. This unpredictability causes people to unite together under one particular team. The rivalry brings excitement, the game leaves everybody on the edge of their seats, and the winning team and their fans go home with pride!

According to a study done by PredictHQ, CNBC reports that this year the Super Bowl could reach 117 million viewers, surpassing the 2015 Super Bowl with 114 million viewers. The 2022 Super Bowl is between the Cincinnati Bengals and the Los Angeles Rams, and these two teams are bringing immense numbers to television history. After the recent pandemic of COVID-19 and having seen a negative effect on the entire sports community, fans are pumped to see the return of the Super Bowl. Therefore, the 2022 NFL Super Bowl is on track to record-breaking viewers.

With the history of its origin being clouded and argued on, Valentine’s Day is a day of love, chocolates and romantic gestures. This holiday’s importance is found within our placement on the importance of love. Celebrating this holiday is a way of showing your significant other how much you love them and showing your friends, parents and family members the love you hold for them.

This year, 2022, Valentine’s Day falls on one of the grimmest and loveless days of the week: Monday. On Monday, people restart their work week; they work or go to school and focus on their responsibilities. Having Valentines Day fall on a Monday is ultimately depriving those of experiencing it to its full effect. Waking up early the next day cancels out the option of having a single ladies’ night out or a night movie with your significant other. So many people are opting to take advantage of the weekend before the 14th to find a more convenient time to celebrate the holiday. 

The clash is present within those who opt to celebrate Valentine’s Day over the weekend, or more specifically Sunday, and those who participate in the viewing of the 2022 NFL Super Bowl. Which tradition outweighs the other: is football more important than love, or does love triumph overall? As Sunday rapidly approached, we watched it all play out in front of us; Valentine’s Weekend vs. The Super Bowl: Who will win?

So, what were your plans? Did you watch the Super Bowl along with the 117 million viewers? Or did you celebrate the love you hold with whoever you please over a romantic dinner or a girl’s night out? 

Want to see more HCFSU? Like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube, and Pinterest!

Hellooooo, My name is Solymar Estrella and this is my second semester at FSU. I am studying Editing, Writing, and Media, I still don't know my minor yet. I am from sunny Sarasota, Florida, and enjoy writing, watching movies, and listening to music. I am an Aries with a Scorpio moon so I guess you could say I look like I would kill you, but I am a cinnamon roll!