Everywhere you go, small businesses are apparent, whether in a small town or a major city. In Tallahassee specifically, there are 8,500 active business licenses, and 80 percent are small businesses with 50 or fewer employees. With the past two years of the world being on hold due to the COVID-19 pandemic, supporting locally owned businesses is more critical than ever. Unfortunately, with the intense hit that COVID-19 had on the economy and the effects it still has today, small businesses are often a one or few-man show in creating, producing, and shipping the products.

By supporting these businesses, they have more unique products and the ability to have more jobs open to those that are needed. Additionally, it allows healthy conversations and competition with other larger-owned businesses, according to The University of Alabama at Birmingham. Finally, by giving back to smaller-owned companies, it helps to support people of color and different identities, as well as families in need around the area.

In Tallahassee, the home of Florida State University (FSU) and Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU), there are several small businesses in the area to support. Instead of buying from big companies, it may be a better alternative to buy from the places below.

1. Fat Cat Cafe

This is a hidden gem of Tallahassee in the corner of Railroad Square. Besides being a cafe and used bookstore for people to browse around, it’s also a pet adoption center. Countless cats are available, ranging from different breeds and ages. For $8 an hour from Wednesdays to Sundays, you can purchase an hour with the cats and drinks brought in. While being at the cafe, if there is a cat you connect with, there is an application to adopt. The cats are rescue animals open for adoption, so it’s a great way to wind down and help find a forever home. Of course, if cats are not your thing, you could simply go to the cafe and relax with a drink or buy a book from the wide variety available. Check out their website, Instagram and Facebook to see what else is happening in the store, and sometimes they have events with the kittens

2. The Other Side Vintage

The Other Side Vintage is one of the biggest vintage stores in the Tallahassee area. They have everything available for everyone, from jewelry to clothing to decor. There are also furniture and kitchenware if you want to renovate your dorm or apartment and support local. Varying styles are available, giving a retro vibe. Sometimes, they even support local artists and sell their products, with little trinkets and percentages going back to the community. What makes it better is their First Friday events, where the community comes out to enjoy music, shop, and eat from local vendors. There are different spaces and products to purchase – even just looking around is a fun time. Even without the desire for vintage products, there are a bunch of FSU and FAMU (even some University of Miami!) merchandise for affordable prices. They have a website, Instagram and Facebook to look at for timings and events.

3. Stone Age

Suppose you are in touch with your spiritual side and love crystals. Even without a fascination about them, they have jewelry, oils, clothing, tapestries and so much more! As a family-owned business, it started with being a plant nursery in Blountstown, FL. The industry is located in a 7,200-square-foot area, so it has metaphysical products everywhere. Beyond the primary facility, you can also shop online on their website for items! Other than their countless products, they have classes for the public to take, going from how to make homemade herbal tea to teaching people how to protect themselves from negative spiritual energy. If you want to learn more about these aspects, they are located on North Monroe Street. Even a few minutes in the shop may enlighten you to buy something. They have a Facebook with their timings, classes and sales posted regularly if interested.

There are so many locally owned businesses in the Tallahassee area that there is something for everyone, one way or another. So rather than spending thousands of dollars on Amazon purchases, it may be better to look into these places and give back, especially during this holiday season. You never know what you’ll find.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube, and Pinterest!

Sophomore at Florida State University, majoring in Nursing. Learning what life is like, while trying to be brave and writing along the way. Follow me on Instagram @a.kkhoja <3