Season Two of “Bridgerton” Expected to Return With Passion and Scandal

Warning: the following article will contain spoilers for the first season of Bridgerton.

Fans eager to return to the glamorous world of London’s high society won’t have to wait much longer: season two of Bridgerton will be available on Netflix on March 25.

The popular historical romance series first came out on Christmas Day in 2020 and had no shortage of viewers. It was watched by 82 million households, making it the second most popular Netflix Original in history. Originally an eight-book series, the show was adapted by Shonda Rhimes and Chris Van Dusen.

The saga follows the lives of London’s dukes, duchesses and other titled families, more familiarly referred to as the ton. In particular, the show focuses on the upper-class Bridgerton family. The first season revolved around Daphne, the eldest daughter and her marriage to the rakish duke, Simon Hastings.

Season two will center around Viscount Anthony Bridgerton. In the season one finale, the eldest of the Bridgerton brood announced that he was finally ready to find a wife for the sole purpose of producing an heir. The viscount declared, “I’ve finally determined the difficulty… love itself, removing it from all romantic relationships will make me all the better for it.” But as many romance readers will tell you, deciding not to fall in love is the most surefire way to make it happen. It should come as no surprise then that his love story is up next.

Newcomers to this season include Kate Sharma, played by Sex Education actress Simone Ashley and Edwina Sharma, played by Charithra Chandran. Details of their entrance into the ton are still unclear, but if the book series is anything to go by, these two are set to make a splash in the world of London’s elite.

Last week’s season two trailer release revealed several clues of what the newest installment will have in store. The viscount is determined to spend this year’s social season winning the hand of Miss Edwina Sharma, but the task will not be so simple. First, he will need to gain the approval of her sister, Kate. Fans can anticipate an enemies-to-lovers storyline between Kate and Anthony, filled with not-so-friendly games of croquet, ballroom sparring and an accidental dip in the lake.

Beyond the main love story, the trailer hints that several side characters will be getting their own plot lines. It was revealed in the final moments of season one that the famed Lady Whistledown, responsible for writing and distributing a gossip sheet that leaks the scandals of many members of the ton, is none other than Penelope Featherington. Featherington has thus far been characterized as a reserved wallflower, receiving little romantic attention from her unrequited crush, Colin Bridgerton.

Some have speculated that the reveal was a red herring and that Featherington isn’t the infamous gossip. However, Featherington’s actress Nicola Coughlan has confirmed that her character is the famed columnist and will have to be very careful to avoid speculation in season two. Among those eager to expose the writer’s identity are Queen Charlotte and Featherington’s own best friend, Eloise Bridgerton.

Speaking of the second oldest Bridgerton daughter: a small clip in the trailer suggests she might have her own love story this season. Eloise has become known for rejecting the institution of marriage, and even though Bridgerton is all about love, it is unknown whether producers will stick to the source material and give her a romance after all.

While all of these subplots will surely add to the atmosphere of the ton, the true leads of this season are Kate and Anthony. The trailer already hints at some forbidden touches and amorous stares. After the steaminess of season one, viewers are certainly expecting the two characters to bring just as much passion and heat as Simon and Daphne did in their story.

Fans that finish season two in a matter of days can rest easy: Bridgerton has already been renewed for seasons three and four.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Jordyn is originally from Johannesburg, South Africa, and moved to Florida at the age of 13. A total bookworm, she loves any situation where a cup of tea and a good novel is involved. She is an Editing, Writing, and Media & Information Technology double major at Florida State University, but is currently studying abroad at the University of Sussex in Brighton, England. When she's not reading and writing, she dreams of traveling the world. Her favorite word is eclectic.