robbie coltrane?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
robbie coltrane?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Warner Bros. Pictures
Culture > News

Robbie Coltrane, Hagrid Actor in Harry Potter Franchise Dies at 72

Robbie Coltrane’s career started long before his role as Hagrid in the Harry Potter Universe, however, the beloved gentle-giant is being paid tribute following the announcement of the actor’s death on Friday, Oct. 14. at age 72. Coltrane is best recognized for his work in the renowned Harry Potter series as Rubeus Hagrid, the official keeper of the keys and grounds at Hogwarts, in addition to films such as James Bond and Cracker. He passed at a hospital near his home in Larbert, Scotland. The esteemed actor had been sick for the past two years.

The franchise’s illustrious co-stars Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson spoke upon his passing. Watson, better known as the quippy wizard Hermione Granger, shared a heartfelt tribute to Coltrane in an Instagram story. “Robbie was like the most fun uncle I’ve ever had but most of all he was deeply caring and compassionate towards me as a child and an adult,” she wrote. “His talent was so immense that it made sense he played a giant— he could fill ANY space with his brilliance.”

“Robbie, if I ever get to be so kind as you were to me on a film set, I promise I’ll do it in your name and memory,” she continued. “Know how much I adore and admire you. I’ll really miss your sweetness, your nicknames, your warmth, your laughs, and your hugs. You made us a family. Know you were that to us. There was no better Hagrid. You made it a joy to be Hermione.”

Daniel Radcliffe, who played the timid but brave wizard Harry Potter, remembered Coltrane as a gentle and loving presence in his life. “Robbie was one of the funniest people I’ve met and used to keep us laughing constantly as kids on the set,” he issued in a statement. “I’ve especially fond memories of him keeping our spirits up on Prisoner of Azkaban, when we were all hiding from the torrential rain for hours in Hagrid’s hut and he was telling stories and cracking jokes to keep morale up.”

“I feel incredibly lucky that I got to meet and work with him and very sad that he’s passed. He was an incredible actor and a lovely man,” Radcliffe continued. 

Harry Potter creator J.K. Rowling described Coltrane as an incredible talent and a complete one-off. “I will never know anyone remotely like Robbie again,” Rowling said. Coltrane costars, including Tom Felton, James Phelps, Oliver Phelps, Bonnie Wright, Warwick Davis, Matthew Lewis and David Thewlis, among others, all spoke with similar sentiments of his kindness, generosity, and presence.

The 2022 Harry Potter reunion Return to Hogwarts which was broadcast on HBO Max for the franchise’s 20th anniversary, marked Coltrane’s last appearance with his Harry Potter family.

Casey Patterson, director and executive producer of the reunion talked of Robbie during the filming of the reunion. “Robbie was all ailing when we were filming, aware of his mortality and fiercely determined to have that final, full circle experience with his beloved cast. He spent days back on the original sets in conversation with them all, we could feel him taking in the great hall, the war stories, the passage of time. He was deeply funny, but equally raw and vulnerable,” Patterson said. “He looked straight down the barrel of the lens and in that knowing Hagrid way, shared with us all that he knew he was near the end and how proud he was of the legacy he would leave behind.”

Coltrane was visibly emotional in his last appearance. “The legacy of the movie is that my children’s generation will show them to their children. So, you could be watching it in 50-year’s time, easy. I’ll not be here, sadly, but Hagrid will, yes,” Coltrane choked out.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Jillian is currently attending Florida State University and majoring in editing, writing, and media. Her interests include reading, movies/tv shows, music, cooking, writing, and more! She loves Taylor Swift and Ben Platt, and of course Her Campus. Contact: Instagram: jilliankaplann Snapchat: jilliankaplan7