Olivia Rodrigo Wins VMA Award for Song of the Year

18-year-old Olivia Rodrigo took home a big win during the 2021 MTV Video Music Awards. Artists Iann Dior, BTS, Cardi B, 24Goldn, Dua Lipa and Megan Thee Stallion were among those nominated for the award. Ultimately, Rodrigo accepted the title of Song of the Year for her viral hit “drivers license.”

The hit singer stunned in a long pink Versace gown with glimmering butterfly earrings while walking the red carpet before the event. In addition to her win, she was nominated for Pop Video of the Year and Artist of the Year. During the pre-show ceremony, she accepted the PUSH Performance of the Year Award. After watching her receive three impressive nominations and perform live at the annual award show, it seems hard to believe that Rodrigo’s singing career only took off at the beginning of the year.

Five years before she became an overnight sensation, Rodrigo took her passion for performing in local talent shows to auditioning for acting roles in LA. At 12 years old she landed her first role in Disney Channel’s 2016 television series Bizaardvark. In the show, Rodrigo plays one of two friends who write songs together, a role requiring her to learn guitar. This probably propelled her musical interest.

After the show ended in 2019, Rodrigo starred in another Disney series High School Musical: The Musical: The Series. Her character, Nina, acts in a school play rendition of the original High School Musical film. Rodrigo even went on to write the hit song “All I Want” for her character in the show. In between seasons of the show, Rodrigo ran with her singer-songwriter desire as she recorded her first album, Sour. This masterpiece earned the No. 1 spot on the Billboard charts for five nonconsecutive weeks after its release on May 21 of this year.

“drivers license,” which is featured in her album, broke Spotify’s record for the most-streamed song in a day. It was played more than 17 million times. When asked about this song, Spotify’s co-head of music, Jeremy Erlich, said “It just ballooned into this monster, unlike anything I’ve ever seen before.”

While wearing a short purple dress and black Doc Martens, Rodrigo performed “Good 4 U,” her other hit song off her album at the VMAs. Not long after her show-stopping performance, she accepted her shiny Moon Person trophy.

“I wanna dedicate this award to all of the girls who write songs on the bedroom floor. There are a lot of people who will try to dim your light, but speaking your mind and sharing your heart are the most beautiful things in the world,” said Rodrigo during her acceptance speech. She continued by thanking her fans and fellow nominees for giving her inspiration.

At what appears to be the height of her career, fans are wondering what’s next for Olivia Rodrigo. High School Musical: The Musical: The Series has recently announced its renewal for season three, where Rodrigo will return as Nina. In terms of music, many fans are speculating she will release another hit sometime soon.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Maddy Barlow is majoring in Interdisciplinary Medical Sciences at Florida State University.