Netflix’s “Never Have I Ever” Renewed for Its Final Season

In March 2022, Netflix proudly announced that the lighthearted, critically-acclaimed original series Never Have I Ever was getting renewed for a fourth season before its season three premiere. This renewal should not come as a surprise to many, as the show has consistently had high ratings and undeniable fan support all through its multi-season run.

Never Have I Ever follows Devi Vishwakumur, a 15-year-old Indian-American teenager who battles with the trials and tribulations of being a high school student. Through the coming-of-age tale, Devi constantly wrestles with the pressures of friendship, family, love, relationships and even her suppressed grief following the death of her late father. As she navigates through her teen years, Devi’s outlandish, naive mind places her in unprecedented situations while simultaneously leading her on a road of social and cultural self-discovery.

Through the years, the success of this show stems widely from the representation it highlights on-screen as well as the breaking of stereotypes. By depicting the story of a South Asian teen and her cultural experiences, Never Have I Ever has drawn in various viewers who seek to see themselves portrayed on TV, as well as gain a new perspective on Asian culture from a lighthearted, comedic standpoint.

The exciting news of renewal, however, was also followed by some ‘not so’ exciting news: the fourth season would, unfortunately, be the last of the installment. While this may cause a downward spiral of devoted watchers, the cast and crew seem to be optimistic and strongly enthusiastic about the show’s future.

The series showrunner, Mindy Kaling, released a statement directed at avid supporters and fans of the show on behalf of herself and co-creator Lang Fisher. “Hey Crickets! We’ve got some morning news for you: Season three of Never Have I Ever is gonna drop this summer! Plus we’ve just been renewed for a fourth and final season, which we are absolutely thrilled about,” the Instagram post states.

Kaling drops a vague teaser to viewers by saying, “We can’t wait to reveal all the steamy romance and hilarious adventures we have in store for you.”

Series lead Maitreyi Ranakrishnan also took to Twitter to share her thoughts on the announcement. “Dear NHIE fans, thank you all for everything. Seriously. We have season three coming out in the summer and we are getting ready to film a season four SERIES FINALE! I am so proud of us all and everything that this show has accomplished,” she wrote. “Let’s do this one more time, yeah?”

The upcoming third season, set to hit screens in either June or July, has the cast reprising their respective roles yet again. Maitreyi Ranakrishnan, who plays the lead role of Devi, will undoubtedly be reappearing. Additionally, her fellow co-stars will also be making their season comeback: Darren Barnet as Paxton, Jaren Lewison as Ben Gross, Poorna Jagannathan as Dr. Naline Vishwakymur, Richa Moorjani as Kamala, Lee Rodriguez as Fabiola Torres and Ramona Young as Eleanor Young.

Even though Never Have I Ever will conclude Devi’s story in the summer of next year, fans can still anticipate the show’s third season in the coming months as they continue to follow her high school adventures!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Leann Taylor is a student at Florida State University who's currently pursuing a double major in Marketing and Advertising. In her free time she loves making jewelry, taking pictures, eating anything sweet, and traveling!