megan thee stallion?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
megan thee stallion?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
NBC

Megan Thee Stallion Joins “She-Hulk” for Twerktacular Litigation

Contains spoilers.

Last week, news broke that rapper Megan thee Stallion would be joining the cast of the new Disney+ original Marvel series She-Hulk: Attorney at Law. As a leader for women in the rap and hip-hop industry, Megan fits right into the powerful series.

She-Hulk debuted on Disney+ on Aug. 18 starring Tatiana Maslany as Jennifer Walters. Maslany’s character is the female Hulk attorney at law and cousin of the original Hulk character Bruce Banner. Walters gained her Hulk powers from coming in contact with Banner’s blood after a car crash. She now must balance life as an attorney and a mutant whose transformation is triggered by any excess angry feelings.

In the show, one of Jennifer’s ex-coworkers, Dennis Bukowski, played by Drew Matthews, is suing his previous girlfriend, Mallory Book, played by Renée Elise Goldsberry, for a fraudulent identity. The ex-girlfriend just so happens to be an Asgardian elf who can shapeshift into any form she chooses, including impersonating Megan thee Stallion. Clips of Book transformed into the rapper were played as evidence in the courtroom. Megan is also seen in a post-credits scene, a strategy familiar to the Marvel fanbase, walking into Walters and saying there’s only one of her. The two then twerk their hearts away, a move the musician is famous for.

According to an article from MSN.com, Megan’s role came to the show’s team easier than expected. Supporting actress Jameela Jamil, who plays Titania, had worked with the rapper before on the series Legendary on HBO Max. When the show creators were pitching ideas for who Book’s character should transform into, they wanted “a female celebrity who was very famous, very successful, and very beautiful.” Jamil offered her connection with Megan and the show’s team was immediately on board.

In an Entertainment Weekly interview, the show’s director Kat Coiro said, “[Megan]’s perfect on so many levels, just as a beautiful young celebrity who would never date Dennis Bukowski, but also as a powerful woman who embodies a lot of what She-Hulk embodies. And then it was a little cherry on top that Tatiana is the world’s biggest Megan fan. As soon as that name came up, there was nobody else.” The show’s team also found out that Megan happens to be quite the Marvel and superhero fan, so it did not take much convincing for her to join the cast.

The chemistry between the musician and Tatiana Maslany was imminent as they danced along to Megan’s hit song “Savage.” Maslany reported being a long-time Megan fan and knew that a fun post-credits scene needed to be in order. Coiro added that “it would be a missed opportunity not to have them on screen together.”

When news broke that Megan thee Stallion would be joining the cast, fans took to social media to express their excitement. She has some recent acting experience under her belt, including Good Girls, Sarah Cooper: Everything’s Fine in 2020 and P-Valley this year. Viewers were excited to see the artist grow her acting resume, especially in such a high-profile show in a new genre for Megan. She also acts as one of the trailblazers for women in the hip-hop genre alongside musicians like Missy Elliott, Cardi B and Nicki Minaj. Having a role alongside a Marvel superhero seemed on par for Megan according to fan reactions.

Fans and the show’s team alike were beyond thrilled for the incorporation of a real-life star into the show. Head writer Jessica Gao said, “I think it was one of Tatiana’s happiest days of her life.” With this cameo released on Disney+, viewers are excited to see what other collaborations Marvel and Disney+ have in store for the remainder of She-Hulk: Attorney at Law and future productions.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Erin is a senior at FSU majoring in Criminology minoring in International Affairs. In addition to Her Campus, she is involved in Transfer Genius program, Leadership LOGIC, and studied abroad in Italy Fall 2022. Erin enjoys being spending time with friends, cooking, and catching up on reality television.