Culture > News

Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade is Back

Back and better than ever is the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade! The joyous holiday staple in the United States had to sadly shut down last year with no in-person participants. But, do not fret! This year there is a huge lineup, in-person viewing and everybody’s favorite floats.

What is the Thanksgiving Parade? 

The Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade was started in 1924 by Macy store employees who marched in Macy’s Herald Square in colorful outfits. The parade became very popular after this with the introduction of floats, people and Santa Clause. The goal of the parade is to bring people together before the Thanksgiving meal with family. It is a tradition that has gone on for almost a century, and takes place in New York City each year. 

Who’s Performing? 

The Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade has a lot of beloved singers in the lineup, such as Darren Criss, Aespa, Andy Grammer, Chris Lane, Foreigner, Jimmie Allen, Jordan Fisher, the Blue’s Clues Hosts, Kelly Rowland and many more! 

The casts of Moulin Rouge! The Musical, Six and Wicked will be representing Broadway at the parade. 

What Floats Are Going to Be There? 

Some new floats are making their debut at the parade. Birds of a Feather Stream Together is a float that is going to feature the first live stream video camera to show the perspective of the crowd at the parade. Also, it is going to have the performers of Girls5eva hosting the float. The next float to make a debut is Celebration Gator, which is going to be the longest float ever and is paying homage to Louisiana’s Mardi Gras culture. The Colossal Wave of Wonder is a float designed for adventure with a mother and baby elephant riding “the way of wonder.” The last float premiering is Magic Meets the Sea and is modeled as the new Disney cruise ship that will sail out next summer. 

What Balloons Will Be Displayed? 

The parade this year will feature thirty different balloons with six new balloons. Some of the balloons include Astronaut Snoopy, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Goku, Paw Patrol, Pillsbury Doughboy, Pumpkins, Sinclair Dino, Smokey Bear, Sonic the Hedgehog, Spongebob Squarepants & Gary, The Boss Baby, The Smurfs, Wiggle Worm and more! 

The new balloons this year are Ada Twist, Scientist, Grogu, Pikachu & Eevee, Ronald McDonald, Tiptoe and Toni and The Bandleader Bear. 

What is The Marching Band Line Up? 

There will be ten marching bands performing at the parade this Thursday, which are Lincoln-Way High School Marching Band, Macy’s Great American Marching Band, NYPD Marching Band, The Ann Richards School, The Centerville High School Jazz Band, The Hampton University Marching Force, The Sound of Brownsburg Marching Band, Trabuco Hills H.S. Thundering Mustangs Marching Unit, Union High School Renegade Regiment and University of Alabama’s Million Dollar Band. 

Who is Hosting the Parade? 

NBC’s broadcast of the Parade is going to be hosted by Savannah Guthrie, Al Roker and Hoda Kotb. You can either watch the parade on NBC, Peacock or Telemundo. Carrie Underwood and The Rockettes are supposed to make a special appearance as well. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Hi, my name is Lindsey Anderson, and I am an editing, writing, and media major! My favorite color is yellow, and I love gardening! My favorite books are The Poppy Wars, The Book Theif, and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society!