Keeping Up With K-Pop: Comebacks and Coachella

Here are the top stories from the K-Pop world you should know, starting with Coachella.

2NE1 Reunion at Coachella 2022

Solo artist CL performed her songs “Spicy” and “Hello B*tches” during 88rising’s Coachella main stage set. What the audience did not expect was for Park Bom, Sandara Park and Minzy, former members of K-pop girl group 2NE1, to join CL on stage to perform their 2011 hit, “I Am the Best.”

2NE1 debuted under YG Entertainment in 2009 and, by 2012, became the first K-pop girl group to embark on a world tour. However, the members formally split in November 2016 to pursue solo careers and endeavors. The surprise Coachella reunion comes seven years after their last public performance as a group. Fans were thrilled to see 2NE1 reunited and now are speculating their possible future musical collaborations as a group.

Aespa to perform at Coachella 2022

Four-member girl group, Aespa, from SM Entertainment will be performing at the second weekend of Coachella with their hit songs “Savage,” “Black Mamba,” “Next Level” and a new, unreleased song made just for the festival. This will be Aespa’s first stage performance in the United States and will act as a part of 88rising’s main stage showcase.

Jackson Wang Makes History at Coachella 2022

Jackson Wang, a member of GOT7, made history as the first Chinese singer to perform on Coachella’s main stage. After finishing his set as part of 88rising’s collaborative label showcase, Wang shouted, “This is a moment in history. This is magic, man. This is Jackson Wang from China!” On April 16, #JacksonWangCoachella became the number one trending topic on Twitter worldwide.

Upcoming Debuts and Comebacks

All the artists listed below have confirmed their debut or comeback dates within the next two months. As of April 22, these are the details that have been made available to fans.

• SEVENTEEN (Full-Length Album): May
  • ASTRO: May
  • GFRIEND’s Yerin will make her solo debut in May
  • Le Sserafim (HYBE Girl Group Debut): May 2
  • Enhypen’s “Border: Senkou” (Japanese Single Album): May 3
  • iKON (4th Mini Album): May 3
  • WOODZ’s “Colorful Trauma” (Album): May 4
  • TXT’s “Minisode 2: Thursday’s Child”: May 9
  • ONEUS’ “Trickster” (7th Mini Album): May 17
  • ATEEZ’s “Beyond: Zero” (2nd Japanese Mini-Album): May 25
  • The Boyz’s “She’s The Boss” (Japanese Mini-Album): May 27
  • BTS: June 10

Studio Choom Announces “Mix and Max”

Studio Choom, best known for their high-quality, 4K artist dance performance videos, has recently replaced their “Artist of the Month” highlights with a new segment called “Mix and Max.” They describe it as “a collaborated pair performance showing the synergy of two K-POP artists, and a peek into their inner thoughts about dance.”

On April 18, @MPD asked Twitter users to guess who the first artists would be. Replies varied from members of Tomorrow x Together (TXT) and ITZY, while others suggested Aespa and Red Velvet.

On April 20, Studio Choom shared a sneak peek on YouTube of their first “Mix and Max” pair, which featured Jungwon and NI-KI of Enhypen. The group’s leader and main dancer, respectively, have collaborated on a haunting dance performance that viewers will be able to see soon.

In the future, fans hope to see “Mix and Max” performances that range beyond artists from the same group, expecting pairings like those in the replies to MPD’s tweet. Nevertheless, users are looking forward to the first installment.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Nyala Thomas earned her B.S. in Media/Communication Studies with a Film Studies minor and continues at FSU's College of Motion Picture Arts Master of Fine Arts Program. 90% of her time is spent creating, whether that be through making YouTube videos and short films, or writing up scripts!