Halloween Ends is the final entry in the Halloween reboot trilogy, but it is likely not the last film for the franchise. The film series is an American slasher franchise that consists of 13 movies, as well as comics, a video game and other merchandise. The original Halloween was released in 1978 by John Carpenter and Deborah Hill and has been a source of inspiration for many American slasher films. The franchise is notable for its multiple timelines, remakes and reboots; Halloween Ends is part of a reboot and will mark the end of American filmmaker Gordon Greens’ trilogy. 

The films collectively have grossed over $773 million at the box office worldwide and rank first at the United States box office, in adjusted 2018 dollars, when compared to other American horror film franchises. The future of the Halloween franchise after Halloween Ends is unknown and the cast and crew have given contradicting comments on the possibility of returning.

Jamie Lee Curtis has made it clear that Halloween Ends will be her last film with the franchise. Curtis plays Laurie Strode throughout the film series, her absence from possible future films confirms that this movie will see the conclusion of Laurie’s story. Andi Matichak, who plays Allyson Nelson, also views this as the end of her time with the film series. She discusses how there were many possible iterations for what the end of the saga could be, and views Halloween Ends as a good conclusion, she tells IndieWire, “For better or for worse and how people end up well or not, it’s a good final chapter for me.” Creator John Carpenter has said that if Halloween Ends performs well, there could be additional movies. David Gordon Green, the director of Halloween Ends, has mentioned he wants to close out the franchise, and producer Jason Blum stated there were no plans for movies after Halloween Ends due to them working off a three-picture deal. Blum later confirmed the rights would go back to Malek Akkad after Halloween Ends, making this Blumhouses final Halloween movie. 

Halloween Ends was released on Oct. 14 and amassed a $60 million worldwide opening. Mixed reviews on the film range from praising the film for its creativity and directing to petitions to have the entire movie reshot. The 111-minute film has received a Rotten Tomatoes score of 40 percent and a 5/10 on IMDb, with roughly 58 percent of Google Reviewers liking the movie. The consensus seems to be contentment with the film’s typical slasher thrills but disappointment in the conclusion of the Michael Myers saga. 

Comments from the Halloween Ends cast and crew allude to the idea that this may not be the final film for the franchise, but with many notable actors leaving and the transition from Blumhouse Productions back to Malek Akkad, the integrity of future films is definitely in question. After 45 years, the most acclaimed and revered slasher horror franchise has come to a tentative conclusion with the release of Halloween Ends. One thing is for certain though, the series has become a staple of the spooky season and of many people’s Halloween movie watch lists.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

I am pre-med and enjoy spending my free time writing. I love to roller skate, hike, and try local cuisine. I am always open to a good movie or music recommendation.