Culture > News

Formula 1 Silly Season and the 2023 Grid So Far

As the 2022 Formula 1 (F1) season approaches its final races, perhaps the most important and speculative part of the season begins, silly season. Commencing after the summer break and dragging into the remaining races comes silly season, a period of time where teams weigh their options and determine their drivers for 2023. Media outlets ruminate and exaggerate rumors of who will earn a seat and who will get the boot. 2022 produced an incredibly hectic silly season, with multiple driver moves and one retirement that kickstarted a game of musical chairs on the grid.

Four-time F1 World Champion Sebastian Vettel announced his retirement from racing in July. Vettel made his F1 debut with BMW Sauber in 2007 at the United States Grand Prix. In his 15-year career, Vettel raced for four teams, accumulated four championships and is third on the all-time win list with 53 career victories. He will end his final season at Aston Martin. Vettel’s retirement created a vacancy on the grid, something that does not happen often. Many anticipated Aston Martin would bring in a rookie or development driver, but they were quick to secure the talents of another seasoned driver on the grid, Fernando Alonso. The two-time world champion moves from Alpine to Aston Martin on a multi-year deal contract; he joins Lance Stroll to solidify Aston Martin’s 2023 driver lineup.

Perhaps the most shocking move of silly season came when McLaren announced it would be terminating Daniel Ricciardo’s contract one year early, electing to find other talent to partner with teammate Lando Norris. Both parties agreed to mutually part ways in August. Ricciardo brought McLaren its first win since 2012 at the 2021 Italian Grand Prix in Monza, Italy. Despite his moment of glory, Ricciardo has struggled to adapt in his two seasons with McLaren, recording many poor race finishes and qualifying performances.

Soon after the announcement, there was another controversy that shook up the grid. Alpine reserve driver Oscar Piastri denied the statement put out by Alpine that he had signed to an F1 seat with them for 2023 and beyond, taking to social media to dispute the claim. After the shock wore off, it was confirmed that Alpine released the statement without Piastri’s approval, and Piastri had in fact signed a deal with McLaren, not Alpine, to take Ricciardo’s seat.

As silly season winds down, the next driver updates came with little to no controversy. Alpha Tauri’s Pierre Gasly is moving to Alpine in place of Fernando Alonso. Gasly’s seat will be taken by former Formula E champion Nyck de Vries, who made his F1 debut this year in Monza, replacing Alex Albon, who was out due to appendicitis. His impressive drive seemed to convince Alpha Tauri to sign him to a full-time seat. Williams is not renewing their second driver Nicholas Latifi’s contract, leaving a seat open to be taken by current F2 driver Logan Sargeant. Sargeant will not be officially confirmed as Williams’ second driver until after he secures 10 more points for his superlicence. The only team that has not secured its 2023 lineup is Haas. Kevin Magnussen is confirmed for 2023, but Mick Schumacher has yet to be extended, with many speculating Haas will not resign him. An announcement from Haas to solidify their drivers should be expected soon.

Unsurprisingly, no change came from the big three teams, Red Bull, Ferrari, and Mercedes, who all have their drivers secured on long-term contracts. Already excited for next season? Mark your calendars, you can watch the 2023 grid kick off its historic 24 race season with the Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix in Sakir, Bahrain, on March 5.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

a senior at Florida State University majoring in Sport Management. she loves watching movies, listening to music, and binge-watching theme park vlogs. on Sunday mornings, you can find her watching the latest Formula 1 race.