Culture > News

Extreme Weather Floods and Global Warming

This summer has experienced weather extremes that have and continue to displace people and ruin infrastructure. Climate change is becoming more of an immediate issue that needs to be addressed ASAP. The new weather will become standard if we do not make lifestyle changes to help our planet. People are displaced and left with nothing after these weather extremities. This past summer has been record-breaking and not in a good way, and this pattern worsens. 

Heat Waves and Extreme Weather in the United States 

At the beginning of July, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) took a monthly climate outlook that showed extreme heat waves affecting the United States; this trend of heat waves will continue to the current day. Due to the rising temperatures, unusual weather patterns are occurring. The United States Environmental Protection Agency summarized how these unique weather patterns are statistically increasing. 

• On Sept. 8, Cal Fire updated that wildfires in California statewide have depleted 41,600 acres. The increase in temperatures has made the perfect breeding ground for widespread wildfires. 
  • California and its neighboring states suffer immensely from this historic drought and heat. According to specialists, the ‘Mega Drought’ affecting the western half of the United States could last years. It has been the driest terrain in 1,200 years. This drought is still affecting Californians and other western states to this day. Sacramento reached 116 degrees Fahrenheit, and the demand for air conditioning may cause mandatory blackouts. Over-exhaustion of power grids is causing outages in Palo Alto and Alameda. 
  • On July 28, eastern Kentucky counties suffered catastrophic flooding due to a rainfall of 14 inches. Previous droughts and then heavy rain parented Kentucky flash flooding. People who were not in a flood zone now suffer the consequences of either trying to rebuild their homes and lives or moving. Professor Chris Barton of the University of Kentucky explains how climate change created the flash flood. 

Heat Waves and Weather Patterns Around the World 

• China recorded one of the hottest and driest summers in 61 years. The average temperature was more than 40 degrees Celsius; this, in combination with one of the lowest rainfall, has caused the Yangtze River’s water levels to dwindle in Wuhan, China. The dwindling water levels have affected power creation and prevented shipment. 
  • On July 18, 2022, France and the United Kingdom had record-breaking temperatures, with London boasting an extreme 101.7 degrees Fahrenheit. The mayor released a heat advisory, urging its inhabitants to travel the rail service only if necessary. 
  • 33 million people have been affected and displaced due to the heavy monsoon rains and the continuous melting of their glacial ice. Towns and cities look like islands, as one-third of the country is underwater

Bottom Line 

As stated earlier, it is clear that our world is changing. People are losing their homes and crops are dying. Where flood insurance was not necessary is now a necessity with how unknown the weather has become. Countries that used to not experience complete droughts are now struggling to supply water to their inhabitants. Not only is life changing economically, our oceans’ temperatures are rising which kills our coral reefs. Species are dying off because of the heat. If we want to experience the world to its fullest, there needs to be more conscious choices made at a large scale in order to prevent any further damage.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hey my name is Eugenia:) A little about me: I love dogs, hanging out with friends and family, and I have a bad shopping addiction. I love painting in my free time as well as thrifting with friends. I am a third year student at FSU and I am majoring in Political Science. I hope to attend law school when I graduate.