An Overview of the Feud Between Kim Kardashian and Kanye West

Kanye West, an American rapper and record producer, and Kim Kardashian, an American media personality and model, got married on May 24, 2014. After nearly seven years of marriage, rumors about their marriage ending spread. On Feb. 19, 2021, Kim officially filed for divorce.

West and Kardashian had been on good terms for a long time, with Kim supporting Kanye by attending all of his listening parties for his album Donda. Around the end of Oct. 2021, Kim was spotted on several outings with American comedian and actor Pete Davidson. Relationship rumors between the two started to spark in the media and within fans when they went out on a date in Santa Monica.

Kanye later revealed that he still wanted Kim back on Nov. 4, 2021, despite her dating Davidson. After a while, Kanye and Kim started publicly feuding about the raising of their children following Kim officially dropping Kanye’s last name “West” from her name. On Jan. 15, Kanye revealed on a live video that Kim did not give him the address of his daughter Chicago’s fourth birthday party. Kanye continued to speak out against her as he stated how he is against their oldest daughter North West having a TikTok account. He posted a photo on Instagram with an all-caps caption: “Since this is my first divorce I need to know what I should do about my daughter being put on TikTsok against my will?”

In February, Kim posted a statement on her Instagram story, calling out Kanye for what she described as an “obsession with trying to control and manipulate.” She stated how divorce was already difficult for their children and that she wanted “nothing but a healthy and supportive co-parenting relationship,” but that Kanye continued “to make it impossible every step of the way.” Kim also emphasized her wish to handle everything about their kids in private.

West publicly expressed his aversion for Pete Davidson when he revealed a teaser for his song titled “My Life Was Never Eazy,” where he threatened to “beat” Davidson. Kanye further shocked fans by informing them that his longtime friend Kid Cudi would not be featured on his album Donda 2 because he is “friends with you know who.” Fans assumed that it was a reference to Pete, which Kanye confirmed when he went on Instagram for several public outbursts where he voiced his displeasure with Pete and Kim being together. He spread rumors and said hateful things about Davidson. West declared “Civil War” against Pete when he posted a meme that morphed his face and Pete’s face over the blockbuster Marvel Cinematic Universe film’s poster. On another post, West stated that he was not harassing Pete, but rather getting “payback.” He continued to refer to Pete as “Skete,” insulting him by referring to him as “garbage,” “trash” and more.

Fans were most concerned when the rapper shared a private text message from Pete, which was a response to Kanye’s concerns about Pete being inside Kim’s home with their children. In the texts, Pete assured Kanye that he would not get in the way of Kim and Kanye’s children and that how they raised them is their business and not his. He also stated how he hoped that he can meet them one day. West responded aggressively in the caption by stating how Pete will never meet his children. He also expressed how he thought that Pete was trying to destroy his family.

In a subsequent post, Kanye posted private text messages from Kim that she had sent when Kanye encouraged fans to “scream” at Pete, where she expressed concern for Pete’s safety. Kim expressed how Kanye was “creating a dangerous and scary environment” and that she was concerned about someone hurting Pete because of Kanye.

Many fans posted about how concerning the whole feud was, stating that it was escalating to “something majorly violent” and that it was “triggering,” especially for people experiencing similar situations. A lot of people came forward to state how Kanye was humiliating Kim publicly and that no one should act like this situation is a form of entertainment or drama.

Kanye continued to release his and Kim’s private messages on Instagram, which Kim asked him to keep private. On Thursday, Feb. 17, shortly after Kanye’s posts expressed his aversion towards Pete and him releasing private text messages, Kim unfollowed Kanye on Instagram. Since then, neither Kim nor Pete publicly addressed Kanye’s behavior.

Kanye’s posts got removed and a since-deleted post where he took accountability for his actions replaced his feed. He expressed that he would work on his communication and that he was aware that sharing screenshots was wrong.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hi! I'm Deniz. I'm an international student from Turkey, and a junior at FSU, majoring in advertising and minoring in criminology! I'm currently an editor at Her Campus at FSU and a writer for Spoon University. I love creating and sharing things and enjoy music, art, and writing :)