Every week, fans tune into their preferred streaming service on late nights to hear their favorite artists’ latest work. Specifically, Oct. 2 was one of the biggest release days for music this month, seeing that some of the hottest names in the music industry were rolling out albums, EPs and singles. Here are some of the music releases that are creating a buzz in pop culture right now.

1. Savage Mode II by 21 Savage and Metro Boomin  

Fans went into a frenzy when it was announced that 21 Savage and Metro Boomin would be collaborating for the third time as they previously worked together for Savage Mode in 2016 and Without Warning in 2017. They continued with their excitement when it was announced that the album would be narrated by Morgan Freeman, and include features with rappers Drake and Young Thug. Both artists immerged from a period of inactivity and created a 15-track album that debuted at No. 1 in the Billboard 200. The rap album was able to garner 171,000 equivalent album units in the United States. 

2. The Album by Blackpink

After immediate success with their leading single “How You Like That,” Blackpink became more of a household name. The upbeat single by the Korean girl group dominated multiple social media platforms—like TikTok and Instagram—which then increased their popularity even further in Western culture. After its Oct. 2 release, The Album became the highest-charting album by an all-female group with 110,000 units as it debuted at No. 2 in the Billboard 200.

3. Remote- EP by Wallows

When vocalist Dylan Minnette announced on Twitter that his band and himself created a quarantine record, fans were curious about what direction the group was going to take for their third EP. Following his announcement, a nostalgic-theme music video for their lead single “Nobody Gets Me (Like You)” was released. The single itself introduces a variety of distorted synths and drums that are incorporated into their alternative rock sound. 

airpods and phone on laptop
Photo by Behar Zenuni from Unsplash

4. “Savage Love (Laxed- Siren Beat) [BTS Remix]” by Jawsh685, Jason Derulo and BTS

Although it was originally a challenge on TikTok, Jason Derulo was able to collaborate with the New Zealand producer of the melody Jawsh685 and create a global smash hit. The duo rose the bar higher when they invited BTS, one of the biggest boy bands, to join in on the song. Members of the boy band sang in both English and Korean, along with Derulo. This song is Jason Derulo and BTS’s second No.1 on the Hot 100.

5. “Don’t Stop” by Megan Thee Stallion

After global success with her EP Suga and her feature on “WAP” with Cardi B, Megan Thee Stallion is seen as one of the hottest female rappers out right now. She recently released “Don’t Stop” featuring Young Thug on Oct. 2. Word of the collaboration first surfaced when a photo of the two artists in the studio spread like wildfire throughout the internet. Fans of Megan Thee Stallion provided positive feedback on the song’s music video that references Alice in Wonderland and Edward Scissorhands

6. “Yo Perreo Sola Remix” by Bad Bunny, Nesi and Ivy Queen

Puerto Rican singer and rapper Bad Bunny joined forces with Nesi and Ivy Queen to create a remix on his Latin hit “Yo Perreo Sola.” The remix was released following their performance at the Billboard Music Awards on Oct. 14. The original version of the song was featured on his sophomore album YHLQMDLG and immediately gained recognition as a result of the music video, which featured Bad Bunny performing in drag. His attempt on discussing respect for women and highlighting the LGBTQ+ community was controversial for the reggaeton community, but the message was still sent out successfully. 

7. “Wonder” by Shawn Mendes 

Shawn Mendes is back with a new single and title track “Wonder” from his upcoming fourth studio album. Mendes first teased about the single a few days prior on his social media accounts with a short clip of him playing the piano in a room filled with easter eggs, which gave clues about details surrounding his latest record. On Oct. 2, he released the music video, where he is seen exploring himself in a train, similar to Hogwarts Express in the Harry Potter series, and throughout a forest. The album is scheduled to be released on Dec. 4 

Coming Soon: Ariana Grande

Social media rejoiced when Ariana Grande confirmed that she “can’t wait to give u [her] album this month” in a tweet on Oct.14. The tweet gained over 1 million likes in less than 24 hours, which proves that her fans are more than elated to hear her latest project. For the past few weeks, friends of Grande and her music producers have been providing hints that the record is approaching, with references to number six. There is no word on the specific release date for the album or as her fanbase calls it “AG6.”

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!​

Darline is a senior majoring in Media/Communication Studies and Editing, Writing, and Media. Although she's a Fort Lauderdale native, she's still a Caribbean by heart. Essentially, she is a boyband enthusiast that spends too much time reading on Archive of Our Own, listening to Hip-Hop/R&B and watching Netflix.
Her Campus at Florida State University.