lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

New Year, New Roomies: Your Go-To Advice on New Roommates

The beginning of the New Year leads to decisions that could potentially be life altering. Such as whether or not to hit the gym daily and watch what you eat. However, there will be one big decision that will change your day-to-day life more drastically than when you start going to the gym: your roommates. This is the time when everyone begins to sign leases for the upcoming year and roommate situations are going to change. The relationship that you have between roommates can ultimately make or break your college experience… So here’s a little relationship advice.

1. Be Picky

When choosing your roommates for the upcoming year you ultimately have the power to choose your strongest girl gang. These are the girls that are going to see you break down in the kitchen because it’s been a hard week and you just realized that you ran out of milk. Or the girls that are going to mess with you by sliding a condom under your door when you finally convince your super cute neighbor to hang. Plus, who doesn’t like the idea of expanding your wardrobe by two or three closets? The potential is there to create lifelong friendships with a group of girls that are probably looking for the same thing.

Courtesy: The Huffington Post

2. If You Can’t Say Anything Nice, Then Shut It

Be respectful of each other. I know it’s easy to get upset when Katy doesn’t want 200 of your closest friends all coming to the apartment for the world’s most insane pregame but she lives there too. The most important thing to remember is that even though you may be expanding to a bigger living area if you are coming from a dorm but even apartments and houses can get small when there’s a fight between roomies. The home should be a place to come and get away from stress and while you’re in college it has the potential to be a giant sleepover every night so keep the grounds calm. Communication goes a long way between roommates. Just be respectful.

Courtesy: Head Over Heels

3. Be Yourself

If you’re not a girl who likes girls I get you. Girls are messy, can be high-maintenance and no one likes a cat fight. So if you’re that girl who wants to move in with guys. Do it. Don’t be afraid of those other people may judge because they aren’t who matter. If you’re closest friends are dudes, then there’s no reason why you can’t enjoy your experience just because of what parts you have. Plus who knows what cute friend your roommate might pull out of his back pocket one day. Just a little perk. But in all seriousness do what makes you happy and go for it.

Courtesy: Giphy

That’s just a little advice from me on the roommate situation. Choose wisely, respect each other and ultimately go with whatever is going to make your college experience the best that it can be. I’m lucky enough to live with a diverse group of women who are at times my biggest critics but always my best support system.

Her Campus at Florida State University.