Spring semester has begun here at Florida State University. After a restful winter break, many of us are already getting stressed with our course loads.  When it comes to relieving stress, the one remedy that always works for me is to retreat to my room and watch an episode or two of the show I’m currently watching on Netflix, which happens to be LOST. Netflix is one of the few video streaming services that many students at Florida State use to watch their favorite television shows and movies, and the start of the new year has brought many exciting additions to Netflix. For all of you that binge-watched Gilmore Girls this past fall and don’t know what to watch next, never fear — you have a new show to get addicted to this January. The complete series of Friends was added to Netflix on January 1st! For all of us Friends’ lovers, we have waited for this day anxiously; some of us may have even marked our calendars in advance. When I asked fellow Florida State student Allie Clark what she thought of Friends being added, she said, “I love it! I’m already on Season three. I feel like Netflix is becoming more mainstream each time they add new shows and movies.”

Photo Credit: www.tv.com

Lindsey Otterbourg, junior at Florida State University, commented on the newest TV edition to appear on Netflix by saying, “I love Friends! Even though they still play reruns on TV all the time, I’m happy that I can now watch any episode I want without commercials!”

As far as new movie additions go, Netflix was sure to add a nice balance of genres, beloved classics, and new releases. Here are just a few of the latest movie additions that all collegiette’s should consider adding to their queues to watch.

Comedy:

Photo Credit: rottentomatoes.com

Collegiettes, get excited! Netflix added Mean Girls on January 1st to its instant streaming. This particular movie is probably the most quoted film Netflix has added so far.

Photo Credit: imdb.com

I highly recommend the film Chef that will be added to Netflix instant streaming on January 28th. It came out last May and stars Jon Favreau as Carl Casper, who loses his job at a restaurant and immediately decides to start up a food truck with his son and best friend. The film takes you through their journey across the country, where you see many beautiful cities, including New Orleans.

Photo Credit: imdb.com

For those of us that waited patiently for The Interview to come out in theaters, only to hear about the controversy surrounding it, Netflix is adding it to their instant streaming on January 24th. Now we all can see the dynamic duo that is Seth Rogen and James Franco grace our Netflix screens.

Drama:

Photo Credit: imdb.com

For some of us it may have been years since we saw Tom Hanks in Cast Away. It is worth re-watching to witness Hanks’ character go through an emotional journey of survival.

Romantic Comedies:

For those of us that can never get enough of a classic rom-com, Netflix has added Dirty Dancing and Notting Hill.

Photo Credit: imdb.com

If you have never seen either, I definitely recommend these two. Dirty Dancing is worth a watch just to see Patrick Swayze’s amazing dance moves. Notting Hill, on the other hand, has Julia Roberts playing as Anna Scott, a famous American actress on location for a film, where she meets William Thacker (played by Hugh Grant),  who runs a tiny bookshop in Notting Hill.

Keep in mind these awesome new additions the next time you find yourself contemplating what to watch on Netflix.

Anna Iturra is a senior at Florida State University studying Media/Communication Studies. She loves reading celebrity autobiographies, eating out at local Tallahassee restaurants,  reading the latest edition of Glamour and watching movies for three dollars at the Movies 8 theater. She can't live without coffee, wine or Netflix (currently addicted to Lost). She aspires to be like Mindy Kaling and she hopes to one day live in London.
Her Campus at Florida State University.