New Tallahassee Outlet Mall ‘Park Place’ Coming Soon

If you love shopping, food and browsing possible housing options then you’re about to be the happiest collegiette around.

Project Park Place is projected to break ground in the spring of next year. The project—taking up 300 acres along Capital Circle Northwest near Exit 296 off of I-10— will include multiple housing options, restaurants, parks, hotels and an outlet mall. The proposed outlet mall will be the only one in the region outside of Jacksonville and Destin, meaning hopeful economic growth for the Tallahassee area.

Courtesy: WTXL

The project has had a lull since its approval in 2011, with Meyer Development’s production scheduled to have begun two years ago. “There was a long hiatus for these kinds of developments after the recession,” says Gary Yordon, president of the Zachary Group who represents Meyer Development. “It took a number of years to loosen up.”

Now that the economy has started to improve, contractors, officials and scouts have conducted site visits to make sure Project “Park Place” can finally start up again. And, according to Yordon there have been upwards of 30 vendors submitting letters of intent to include their business in the outlet mall. Developers are also considering putting in a movie theater.

The master concept, listed on the development website, highlights four mainland uses: commercial, residential, community service (i.e. a park) and open space for conservation purposes.

While this project won’t begin construction until next year, most likely opening in late 2019 or early 2020, it’s a promising new development for Tallahassee’s economy and for Tallahassee residents. Apart from Governor’s Square Mall and the various boutique shops scattered around the 850, there aren’t many other places to shop. As a large majority of Florida State students are from larger cities (namely of South Florida, New York or New Jersey), this new development is reminiscent of life back home. “The dynamics of a project like this for folks who live in this community is pretty exciting,” says Yordon. “There’s going to be great prices at an interesting new outlet mall, and I think folks are going to like in this community and the surrounding communities as more of a hometown project.”

Courtesy: Giphy

As Florida State seniors and juniors and Tallahassee locals can all attest, Tallahassee has transformed these past four years. From a few local restaurants and shops here and there to a booming college town with residential housing popping up on every street corner, Tallahassee has proven itself to be more than just a southern town with an amazing football team.

The Capital city is growing. Florida State had a record-breaking year for admission applications —businesses are opening up everywhere and over 100 major developments in various stages are up for discussion in Tallahassee and Leon County. Tallahassee residents and students alike are ready for more shopping, more available jobs and more fun to have here in the 850. With Park Place coming soon, that all will be possible!

Go Noles.
Her Campus at Florida State University.