New Netflix Series, Unorthodox: Inside the Life of an Orthodox Jew

Unorthodox is a new Netflix series that aired on Mar. 26, 2020 which focuses on the life of a Williamsburg-native teen named Esther Shapiro, who makes the brave decision of leaving her Hasidic Jewish community in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, New York and moves to Berlin, Germany to fulfill a life on her terms. The series is based on the true story of Deborah Feldman and her 2012 autobiography titled, Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots. The series captures the emotional, binding, and strict culture that is required of a Hasidic Jew – who are known for their “ultra-orthodox” way of life.

Hasidic Judaism is a group of conservative individuals with a Jewish identity that merit themselves on social isolation (to an extent) and familial tithes. They interpret scriptures and the word of Biblical figures in a literal sense. Due to this, a woman is to be married at a young age and bear children for her husband within a certain time period. Counter to that, the husband is supposed to have the highest power in the household and is to be treated with the utmost respect. Women are not allowed to hold a man’s title – they are not allowed to perform musical instruments or sing in public.

Women are supposed to be covered from head-to-toe, most times wearing stockings to cover their legs. After their weddings, many Hasidic women are required to shave their heads or wrap their hair away from the public as it is considered immodest. The men usually wear black suits with a long beard and two curls that hang down the side of their face, known as Payot. These traditions stem from the 18th century Eastern European culture, where the branch of Hasidic Orthodox Judaism originated. What’s interesting is that even in 2020, these exact traditions still exist within their secluded communities – especially within the Brooklyn community of Williamsburg – from the rules created about socialization to the dress code associated with the culture.

The Netflix series, Unorthodox, is filmed with the characters speaking both Yiddish, English, and the German language to an extent. While not giving away too much about the show, Esther finds her way out of her community that was suffocating her and successfully establishes her life outside of the United States. What’s interesting to highlight is that though Esther primarily lived in Brooklyn, New York, she didn’t sound American at all due to the minimal socialization and assimilation the Hasidic Jewish community chooses to undergo in New York. Along with this, she primarily socialized with members of her Williamsburg community in Yiddish – not English. Due to this, when she spoke English while in Germany, many were confused to know that she was from New York and not Israel (though this is not the only place in the world than members of the Jewish community are located).

The series, Unorthodox, is one that many should watch as it opens your eyes to understand a different religion and culture that exists within our backyard. It enlightens us on the various struggles that can exist within the religious community and the confinement that one is exposed to. If you’re ever free, you should definitely take the time to watch it.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Hello! My name is Valene and I am a new Staff Writer at HerCampus and I attend Florida State University. A fun fact about me is that I am originally from Jamaica.
Her Campus at Florida State University.