New & Improved – Line Dance: Showcase of the Arts

Undoubtedly, close to half of your friends have changed their profile pictures since last week. Most assuredly, almost all of the pictures are similar – either featuring dancers or a promotional photo sporting multicolored feathers. Y’all know what that means: It’s Line Dance season, Seminoles.

2016 marks the third year that five IFC fraternities (Pi Kappa Phi, Phi Kappa Tau, Phi Delta Theta, Phi Sigma Kappa and Pi Kappa Alpha) have run the largest Greek-centric philanthropy on campus. Held at the Donald L. Tucker Civic Center on Thursday, March 31st, the event will raise funds through a dance competition with all proceeds directly benefit the University.

Last year, Line Dance raised over $49,000 – eclipsing their $40,000 goal. The funds raised were split evenly between the Student Disability Resource Center, the FSU College of Medicine and the Victims Advocate Program.

Last year’s winners: Pi Beta Phi Sorority. 

Courtesy: Maria Silva

This year Line Dance at FSU is up-ing its game. After rebranding to Line Dance: Showcase of the Arts (LDSA), the directors are striving for a higher rate of campus inclusion and have their eyes on raising over $75,000. Currently LDSA has partnered with the Marching Chiefs, NPHC fraternities, Student Alumni Association, Student Boosters, Student Foundation, the Golden Girls and Seminole Dance Force. The Marching Chiefs and NPHC fraternities will open the show together while the Seminole Dance Force and the Golden Girls will perform at intermission.

Courtesy: Line Dance: Showcase of the Arts

The event, while also benefiting the university, strives to increase awareness of sexual assault and prevention with the inclusion of promotional videos, information tables and on-site counselors. “Line dance is important to me and one of my favorite events because it links the entire Greek community together through the art of dance while raising money to help organizations right on our campus – such as the college of medicine and the victims advocate program,” said junior Alpha Omicron Pi Line Dance Captain Kassie Meiler. “I’ve danced since I was three and it’s nice now to use that talent to give back! The energy at the event is indescribable with thousands of people cheering!”

The event will be hosted by Doug Levinson of Pi Kappa Phi and Gabi Carrera of Kappa Delta. All proceeds for 2016’s Line Dance: Showcase of the Arts will benefit the FSU College of Business and the Victim’s Advocate Program. For more event, sponsorship and ticket information click here or visit Facebook.

Schedule of Events:  

Thursday 3/24: Share-It Night at Blaze Pizza (Tennessee Street) 6-10 p.m.

Monday 3/28: Line Dance Carnival at Pi Kappa Alpha 4-8 p.m.

Tuesday 3/29: Share-It Night at Apropro 4-9 p.m.

Wednesday 3/30: Barbeque and Car Smash at Pi Kappa Phi 5-8 p.m.

Thursday 3/31: Line Dance: Showcase of the Arts at the Civic Center 7:30 p.m.

Her Campus FSU Staff Writer Junior // Creative Writing & Communications Travel/Tea/Theatre Enthusiast Follow me @ShutUpSkyler
Her Campus at Florida State University.