Style > Beauty

The New Beauty and the Beast and All of the Critiques

The new Beauty and the Beast film is grasping people’s attention worldwide, for more than one reason. While this updated take on a classic tale is dominating the box office, it is also causing a lot of talk regarding some of Disney’s choices regarding the flick. Beauty and the Beast features both gay and interracial couples, which is a new and daring twist for the company, especially considering the fact that the film is geared more towards children. Many parents are up in arms about some of the decisions made and although these alterations between the old and new versions of the movie are causing much controversy, Disney does not seem to mind.  

The film highlights Lefou (played by Josh Gad) and his unrequited love for Gaston (played by Luke Evans), which came as a shock to many. Lefou’s incredible admiration and devotion to Gaston is hinted at in the original picture, especially with the musical number titled “Gaston”, which consists of Lefou singing about how Gaston is the best man in the entire village. However, Director Bill Condon made it a point to highlight this even more in the remake. This adjustment caused different responses across the globe. Many theatres, including ones in Malaysia, Russia, Hong Kong and even one in Alabama have been fighting to have the “gay scene” removed from the film before showing it. However, Disney has and will continue to refuse to do so. The choice to feature it in the first place undoubtedly makes a statement and moves Disney movies in the right direction, leaving no chance for them to go back now.  

The debatable and questionable topics presented in the movie do not end here. Beauty and the Beast also has not just one, but two interracial couples within the film. The first relationship is between Madame Garderobe and Cadenza, (played by Audra McDonald and Stanley Tucci) and the other is between Lumière and Plumette (played by Ewan McGregor and Gugu Mbatha-Raw). Having interracial couples in one of their films is a newer concept for Disney, which in many people’s opinions, is long overdue. This was yet another way of Disney taking a stand and making another step forward in the film industry.

Sadly enough, in today’s society, both gay and interracial couples are often still faced with problems such as being judged or dealing with being accepted. People who are a part of such relationships should not have to encounter such struggles. Disney should be applauded for taking a stand and showing that these partnerships are okay.  On top of that, the fact that Beauty and the Beast reaches out to younger audiences should gain them even more recognition. Condon hopes to show his audience that there is nothing wrong with being whoever you are or loving whoever you love. If Disney, and other companies similar to it, begin teaching children such values, they will grow up comfortable with the idea that these relationships should always be supported. These adaptions to the live-action Beauty and the Beast are making history. As a young collegiate who grew up watching animated Disney movies, it excites me to see Disney moving forward as our society changes. It is comforting to see such a well-respected, well-known company teaching such positive ideals and standing up for what is right and I have high hopes that they will continue to do so in the future. 

Her Campus at Florida State University.