Career

Nevaeh Jolie is R&B’s Newest Star on the Rise

One of the hottest new voices out right now is Nevaeh Jolie. Nevaeh is poised to be the next big thing in R&B. After getting discovered on Instagram and signing with Def Jam, Nevaeh has spent the past two years releasing music and building her brand.

Last year was a big year for Nevaeh. She released two singles, “OTB,” a slow R&B vibe that is bound to put you in your feelings and “Screwed Up,” an upbeat banger feat. A Boogie wit da Hoodie. “Screwed Up” and its remixes have gone on to gain over one million streams on Spotify. It even recently snagged a placement on the movie soundtrack inspired by the 2020 film Fatale starring Hilary Swank and Michael Ealy.

I got to have a conversation with Nevaeh Jolie about her music, style and plans for the future.

Unsplash/ Bogomil Mihaylov
Her Campus (HC): How would you describe yourself?

Nevaeh Jolie (NJ): I would say that I’m nerdy but cool. I’m the one out here with the kids dripping like a rockstar. I’m a hopeless romantic too. I’m just a playa. “Keeping it playa” is my mantra.

HC: What can fans expect from your music this year?

NJ: My next single dropping is called “Chew Me!” It’s going to be crazy. The video is going to be so fire! I’m getting excited talking about it! It got me out of my comfort zone and that’s what I’m hyped about.

HC: Who are your favorite artists?

NJ: I listen to a lot of heavy rock along with Tracey Chapman, The Beatles, Miley Cyrus and Juice Wrld. Juice Wrld is my favorite artist.

HC: How did you get discovered and what has your journey been so far?

NJ: My manager Max Gousse heard my single, hit me up and told me he wanted to fly me out. The next day I was in Los Angeles. It’s crazy…I’m still really shocked.

HC: Fashion is a big part of your image, who are your fashion inspirations?

NJ: Aaliyah, P!NK and Avril Lavigne inspire me every day when I get dressed. I see those three as rockstar badass girls that dressed super fly and didn’t care about what anyone had to say. Lady Gaga is another one of my influences. When it comes to my style in the next five years, I can see myself as being very avant-garde and high fashion.

HC: What are the next steps for your music post-pandemic?

NJ: I’d love to be performing. I’d love to be on stage and catch a vibe with my playas. Until then, I just plan to stay in the studio and just keep releasing music.

HC: What can fans expect from your upcoming debut album?

NJ: A trippy whirlwind of emotions. It’s almost like going on a first date with me—like we’re just at an arcade for the first time and letting the music take us on an emotional ride.

HC: What’s your writing process like?

NJ: I treat every session like it’s a therapy session. Each time is different. Some days I might go in with a poem that turns into a track. Some days, I’m just harmonizing and laying down melodies, and other days I go in blank and come out with a full song. Whatever the mood, it’s always a good time and is always a fun creative process for me. It’s my art, so everything that comes out of my session in the studio always feels magical.

My conversation with Nevaeh Jolie truly exceeded my expectations. Her down to earth personality and sense of humor allowed for our conversation to flow effortlessly. Our conversation went beyond the pre-planned interview questions. The way that we connected made me feel like I was just having a conversation with one of my friends.

Nevaeh Jolie is on her journey to superstardom and her journey is just beginning. Stay tuned for what’s to come and make sure to follow her on Instagram to stay up to date on her content and new releases!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest

My name is Nicole. I'm a junior at Florida State University. I enjoy listening to music, hanging out with my friends, eating Italian food and taking naps.