Network of Enlightened Women (NeW) Raises Money for Refuge House

Network of Enlightened Women (NeW) was founded by Karin Agness in 2004 at the University of Virginia. Agness hoped to find an organization for conservative women to share their ideas, although the administration said no at first and rejected this idea. Agness then based the organization as a book club and each month NeW members continue to uphold the tradition.  NeW wants to create a safe environment for women on all ends of the political spectrum, especially conservative women to talk about their ideas freely. The organization centers on creating gender equality by empowering one another in academic and professional goals.

Women do not always know where they stand on the political spectrum and feel alienated when they do not agree with the viewpoints of radical feminism. Now president of the FSU chapter Emily Bland says, “Before I found NeW, I would stay away from discussing policy, or politics in general on campus because I knew that conservatism was the unpopular opinion. I also didn’t think that a career in government or politics was attainable for someone from a small town without the connections to help snag a job.”

NeW allows women to feel empowered and have confidence in themselves as they support one another constantly and help the other see their full potential. Bland adds, “Through NeW, I not only became comfortable with being vocal about my ideas, but I was able to score an internship at the capital, then the Attorney General office and now for a presidential campaign.” The most important part of NeW is to facilitate conversations that make girls feel comfortable enough to talk about important issues in the media. “We believe that all issues are women’s issues, so we will address anything from foreign policy to campus culture at our meetings,” says Bland.

The NeW FSU Chapter with founder Karin Agness who spoke at a lecture of over 90 people earlier this semester.

Courtesy: Emily Bland

That’s not all that NeW has done! Currently, NeW is working on a fundraiser to raise money and collect hygiene products such as toothbrushes, hair care products, diapers and cleaning supplies for the Refuge House. The Refuge House serves all victims of domestic violence and sexual assault throughout the counties of the Big Bend by providing guidance to people who have been hurt by abuse and violence. Not only do they provide guidance for victims but for family members as well. According to their website,  1 in 5 women in the United States has been raped and nearly half have experienced some form of sexual violence.

Bland states, “The donations will go to help the day to day needs that victims need when they flee a dangerous situation. Doing this donation drive really puts into perspective how many items we need just to get by on a daily basis. NeW at FSU hopes we can help as many victims fulfill those needs while getting help at the Refuge House as we can.”

The Refuge House reports that in 2013 has responded to 2,866 domestic violence-related hotline calls, 740 sexual assault calls, 385 women, children and men sought safety in our emergency shelters and 1302 survivors reached out for assistance in securing protective orders through our Leon County Courthouse office.

NeW FSU chapter set a modest goal of $100 at the beginning of the month and by receiving generous donations on their GoFundMe they reached that goal in less than 24 hours! Since this is their very first philanthropic event as a chapter, they are hoping to go above their expectations and raise double that amount. “It’s my hope that we can show up to Refuge House with a carload or more of donations,” says Bland. In order to help the Refuge House and show support for the NeW chapter anyone can donate to their donation drive by giving items to one of their members or just reaching out to them on their Facebook page: Network of Enlightened Women at FSU.  If you can’t make it to the store, they also have a GoFundMe and all monetary donations will be used to purchase items needed.

NeW FSU chapter hopes to continue to make a change in the lives of others by empowering women and by giving back to the community. When I asked Emily what has been the most rewarding aspect of joining NeW she said, “Personally, I realized I am not alone on campus. I have met so many amazing women on campus and even across the country through NeW and it’s so empowering. The best part of being president is reaching new members and seeing how NeW gives them the confidence it has given me.”

To help victims of domestic violence and sexual assault in helping to rebuild their lives, donate to the Refuge House through NeW’s fundraiser. Also check out the NeW FSU chapter and consider joining an organization that allows women to find their political voice and not be afraid to speak up about issues that are important to them.

Student at Florida State University studying Communication and Creative Writing. Addicted to iced vanilla lattes, Mike Wazowski and romantic comedies.
Her Campus at Florida State University.