Watching documentaries has become a huge trend lately and if you’re a fan of Netflix’s docuseries Making a Murderer or the most recent Fyre Festival documentaries, you are going to love these. No matter what streaming service you use, you are sure to find some of the best crime, mystery, investigative and even comedic documentaries around. Here are some that you should watch available on Netflix, Hulu, and Prime Video!

On Netflix

The Staircase (2018)

Image Courtesy: Slash Film

This docuseries follows the aftermath of the murder of novelist Michael Peterson’s wife in 2001 from the perspective of the defense. Peterson is the main suspect of the case as seen through the footage that begins as police start their initial investigation until the end, viewers get an inside look at the high-profile murder trial. After all of the information is presented viewers are left with their own idea of what happened on that mysterious night.

Tower (2016)

Image Courtesy: PBS

This documentary tells the story of the sniper massacre at the University of Texas at Austin in 1966 through the use of animation. The real events are recreated as the stories of survivors on that day are recounted, giving viewers multiple perspectives on how the tragic incident unfolded and a glimpse into an event that may be over 50 years old but feels eerily familiar today.

13th (2016)

Image Courtesy: National Black Doll Museum and History of Culture

In this documentary, filmmaker Ava DuVernay explores the history of racial inequality in the United States. While analyzing the 13th amendment, the documentary gives viewers insight into the fact that the nation’s prisons are unreasonably filled with African-Americans.

Blackfish (2013)

Image Courtesy: Mission Blue

Known for exposing SeaWorld, this documentary tells the story of Tilikum, a captive killer whale that has taken the lives of several people. Through its narrative, it highlights problems within the sea-park industry that will make viewers reevaluate what is most important about the treatment of these aquatic animals moving forward. 

On Hulu

Free Solo (2018)

Image Courtesy: Climbing Magazine

This Oscar-winning documentary shows professional rock climber Alex Honnold attempt to conquer the first free solo climb of famed El Capitan’s 900-meter vertical rock face at Yosemite National Park. Viewers are given a close look at this incredible journey that is both shocking and exhilarating through its breathtaking photography. 

RBG (2018)

Image Courtesy: The Movie My Life

Based on the life and career of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, this documentary explores how her early legal battles changed the world for women. Though this narrative, viewers get a glimpse at one of the most well-known voices of the modern-day feminist movement, seeking out gender equality for both women and men. Ginsburg’s accomplishments show an inspiring look at what can be cultivated with hard work and compassion.

Minding the Gap (2018)

Image Courtesy: Wired

This documentary received the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature for its depiction of three young men who bond through skateboarding as a way to escape their complicated family lives in their Rust Belt home town. Viewers see the young men struggle to face their adult responsibilities along with some unexpected revelations through more than a decade of documentary footage. 

On Prime Video

Bowling for Columbine (2002)

Image Courtesy: Listal

Political documentary filmmaker Michael Moore uses this narrative to explore the circumstances that lead to the school shooting that took place at Columbine High School in 1999. The film goes beyond this inquiry and dives into the proliferation of guns and the high homicide rate in America. 

I Am Not Your Negro (2016)

Image Courtesy: Study Breaks

Filmmaker Raoul Peck explores the history of racism through his envision of James Baldwin’s unfinished manuscript titledRemember This House. The film urges viewers to acknowledge the hardships of African Americans throughout history specifically during the civil rights movement.

The Endless Summer (1966)

Image Courtesy: Variety

Documentary filmmaker Bruce Brown follows surfers Michael Hynson and Robert August on an around-the-world surfing adventure to Hawaii, Australia, South Africa, and many other surfing spots. With a satirical narration, this film follows the men on their search for the surfer’s holy grail that Brown dubs “The Perfect Wave.”

Tyra Joseph is a graduate of Florida State University with a dual degree in Editing, Writing & Media, and Digital Media Production with minors in Information Technology and Film Studies. She began as a Staff Writer for Her Campus FSU in August 2018 and then served as a Content Editor in her final two semesters as a Nole!
Her Campus at Florida State University.