Just when everyone thought they could cancel their Netflix subscriptions and focus on binge-watching their favorite childhood shows, the popular streaming service pulled a trick from under its sleeve. This past Wednesday, not even 24 hours after Disney’s new streaming service launched, Netflix announced a multi-year deal with Nickelodeon, having every Millennial and Gen-Z go crazy.

Tensions have been high between the two competing companies over the past few years. In 2017, Disney announced it would be creating its streaming service where fans could re-watch their favorite Disney classics as well as enjoy new exclusive series and movies. The catch? It would be pulling its animations off of Netflix and other competitors. Ever since this announcement, many of the empires’ shows and movies slowly disappeared from streaming platforms. Two years later, Disney finally launched its streaming service, Disney Plus, which generated over 10 million subscribers within its first day.

With such a well-established reputation, Disney had the potential to ruin the business of many other streaming services. Netflix decided they would not be the one to go down. The company began to hint at their deal earlier this month by adding the Nickelodeon original Victorious to the platform. Customers were excited, but this excitement quickly died down with the launch of Disney Plus. Netflix’s announcement was strategically placed and got the attention turned back to them. 

Courtesy: Clay Banks 

Although fans were very excited, many expressed concerns. Price increases have been one of the major issues that customers have addressed. Earlier this year, Netflix increased its prices from $10.99 to $12.99. Teaming up with such a big company such as Nickelodeon has customers wondering how the profit will be split and if Netflix will revert to more price increases to compensate Nickelodeon. Fans are also very concerned about what exactly will be available to watch on the streaming service. The names of classics such as Rocket PowerThe Amanda ShowAll That and SpongeBob flooded the comments of Netflix’s twitter announcement.

However, according to The New York Times, Nickelodeon will not allow Netflix to stream its original content. Instead, the company will be using its original characters and creating new animated content to release on the platform. It seems as though the new animated content will be focused on entertaining children specifically. In addition to SpongeBob, other beloved series expected to be featured on this new platform include Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Dora the Explorer. While this will be a great source to parents and daycare services, fans are still hoping to see the originals mentioned above. 

Although Netflix and Nickelodeon have not released much information as of yet, the excitement is high for all that fans anticipating this new platform. As the world explores Disney Plus, Netflix and Nickelodeon are preparing for their launch. Two very different companies, it’s hard to stick to one streaming service, so despite the battle of the services, weigh your options carefully and remember this: why choose one when you can have both!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Arielle Lawson is a Senior at Florida State University pursuing a degree in Finance and a minor in Women's Studies. Her passions include reading, serving the surrounding community, and her Yorkie-Poo, Indygo. She aspires to change the current narrative of Women in society through her writing, service, and future profession in Higher Education.
Her Campus at Florida State University.