I feel like before I even say what I’m about to say I have to preface that there will be NO spoilers in this article. I dislike how when you read articles like these, the entire plot of the book is given away and then I’m just like “What’s the point of reading the book now!” I will be giving in-depth reviews of how I felt while reading these books and why I think you should read them too. ;) Let’s get started! 

Call me by Your Name by Andre Aciman 

The way I felt while reading this book is almost unexplainable. It’s also definitely one of those books where the movie completely does it justice. I love reading it with the soundtrack playing in the background because it ~elevates~ the experience. The coming of age themes and the way the story ends is so heart wrenching and relatable that it will for sure make you cry no matter how many times you read it. It’s one of those novels for me that will live on and on, and one that I consider a classic. If you want a good cry and to feel so immersed in somebody’s coming of age experience, I am bound to point you in the Call me by Your Name direction.

11 Minutes by Paolo Coelho 

11 minutes is one of those books where you cannot put it down. I read this novel on a plane ride from Morocco to Miami and not once did I get tired of reading it. While it’s definitely different from Coelho’s usual themes and styles of writing, it’s still a list-topper for me. The raw thematic elements and how much he doesn’t hold back in the telling of Maria’s story is definitely what made this such an enjoyable read for me and it’s bound to make you wish you had someone like ~REDACTED~ (no spoilers ;)) in your life. 

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling 

While I am the most diehard stan of the entire Harry Potter series and think that each and every book should be read multiple times, I believe that my all-time favorite is Order of the Phoenix. I feel like that was one of the first novels in the series that pushed the more ~adult~ and less PG and more sad themes, and I have to say I am 100% here for it. Also, I love the strong family and attachment themes in this one and the extreme heartbreak towards the end, which I feel is the reason why this book takes the cake for me. 

The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho 

This novel by Coelho is his most well-known work, I believe, and it was the first novel that threw me into the whirlwind of his work. I read this story for the first time in the sixth grade after my mom let me venture past the children’s section in our local bookstore and I absolutely fell in love with it. That didn’t mean that I understood it. I gave it another read during the summer between my 8th-grade and 9th-grade year and that’s when I knew that it was going to be an absolute classic of mine. I read this book when I was really ~going through it~ and it acted a lot like guidance for me, so it really holds a special place in my heart and I feel like it has helped a lot of people through tough times and times of questioning one’s purpose and self-worth. Give it a read if you’re having an existential and identity crisis! 

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott 

Little Women is another one of those novels where the movie was equally as amazing as the book. At least the Gretta Gerwig version was god-tier. Honestly, I think I’m just too much of a Timothée Chalamet stan. ANYWAY. This story is definitely one of those that touched my heart to a degree I cannot describe. It’s so relatable and heartwarming yet gutting at the same time and it makes you feel all these emotions ugh I absolutely LOVE it. If you want an easy read that is bound to make you laugh and cry and smile through every page, Little Women is the way to go! 

These are definitely my top 5 book recommendations but I always have many more! If you ever need a recommendation or actually read any of the ones I mentioned above, don’t hesitate to email me at bh19@my.fsu.edu ! Happy reading! 

-BH 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Bana Habash is a Florida state student majoring in international affairs and minoring in film studies. She is a beauty assistant for clutch magazine and a staff writer for HerCampus. She loves reading, singing, writing, and filmmaking. If she could spend a day with one celebrity, it would be Hayley Williams from Paramore.
Her Campus at Florida State University.