If you’re anything like me, your most recent obsession is this season of ABC’s The Bachelor. Matt James is the season’s bachelor and a handsome one at that, might I add. James is writing his own love story while breaking barriers by being the hit television series’ first Black bachelor. The 28-year-old entrepreneur and community organization founder is an alumnus of Wake Forest University, where he majored in economics and played wide receiver for the football team. Impressive, right? But wait, there’s more! His passion for giving back led to the creation of his organization which is designed to find creative ways to engage low-income children in New York. While you may be swooning by just a brief introduction to Matt James, women on the show are actually falling for him in real life.

At the start of the season, 32 women began the journey of falling in love and the numbers dwindled down to the handful that are currently there. All of the women are seemingly great people, but of course, I have my personal favorites. 

To start off, Abigail is my absolute favorite! I love how upfront she is about her hearing impairment and how that isn’t stopping her from living life to its fullest. She’s sweet, caring and I can’t deny that the ear trick was pretty cute (if you know, you know). Next up is Bri! Bri scored the first one-on-one date with Matt and I can easily see why. She’s laid back and is always down to have a good time. How can anyone go wrong with that? Next up is Chelsea. Chelsea has been a bit of an underdog up until this point in the season, but I’m really rooting for her. She has such a kind demeanor and truly values Matt and their relationship.

As the season continues, Matt’s relationship with these women is only getting fiercer. With that, so are the women. Understandably, having a lack of time with the one man that a group of women is dating can lead to some pretty interesting things. Rumors and sabotage are definitely at the top of that list. Several contestants have already been sent home due to their involvement in sticky situations. I won’t spoil it for those of you who aren’t caught up yet—but seriously, go watch it. 

ABC/Craig Sjodin

My thoughts on Matt James are fairly simple. I think he’s a great guy with wonderful values. He has taken the conditions of the house, the feelings of others and his individual relationships all into consideration throughout the series so far. He pays attention to the little things, which is always an admirable trait to have. Matt reassures the women of their place in their relationship with him, which will never be negative when multiple women are subtly begging for reassurance. Ultimately, he has the core values that these women want in a relationship like vulnerability, kindness and honesty. He really is the full package. Now, if he could just get past kissing with his eyes open (I know you all see it)!   

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Yumarlis, Yumi for short, is a First-Generation college student from Miami, FL majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media at Florida State University. Aside from writing for Her Campus, you can find Yumi studying at the library or watching Netflix. There's no in-between.
Her Campus at Florida State University.