Ever since we’ve been in quarantine, I have been listening to endless music, especially One Direction. I’ve probably listened to them more in the past five weeks than I did back in eighth grade. When it came to choosing a band that could summarize my semester, I knew they were the only option.

Kayla Bacon-Dramatically Skipping Down Road
Kayla Bacon / Her Campus

1. “Best Song Ever”

“And we danced all night to the best song ever, we knew every line, now I can’t remember…”

Jan. was a rush. I toured hotels hoping to gain a summer internship, my first article for Her Campus was published, and I was accepted into the Lady Spirithunters organization. It was the most entertaining school month I had in a long time. Ironically, I can’t remember a lot of the details, but I won’t forget how I felt.

2. “Live While We’re Young”

“Let’s go crazy, crazy, crazy ’til we see the sun, I know we only met but let’s pretend it’s love.”

If Jan. was a rush, then Feb. was a whirlwind. I had fears going into the semester (mostly based around social acceptance and self-identity) but they were quieted for now. I was meeting so many people, making so many friends, and becoming more confident in my major. I even got accepted into a summer hotel internship! I was constantly busy, and I didn’t want it to stop.

3. “Midnight Memories”

Anywhere we go, never say no, just do it, do it, do it, do it.”

March was a month of “firsts.” My first time not going out in a group, my first time early voting, my first men’s basketball game of the season, and my first Her Campus photoshoot! I didn’t know that these memories would also be some of the last ones I’d have of my semester at Florida State University, but that’s what makes them so much sweeter.

camera sitting on a desk
Pexels

4. “No Control”

“…no control. Powerless, and I don’t care, it’s obvious. I just can’t get enough of you…”

I had to throw this in one in here! Living through the coronavirus is an experience like none we’ve ever known before. Part of it is frustrating, but the other part is so liberating. While I chose this song for its appropriate title, I also chose it because it is so carefree and upbeat. Being at home has given me the time to do a little self-reflection, as well as the time to tackle new skills, and the overall experience has been liberating. Sometimes it’s good to let loose and lose control.

5. “She’s Not Afraid”

“She’s not afraid of all the attention, she’s not afraid of running wild, how come she’s so afraid of falling in love.”

One of my favorite bible verses is Proverbs 31:25, which states, “She is clothed in strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future.”  That is a mindset I like to hold at all times, but especially going into the month of May. This summer I’d like to get over some fears I’ve built up over the past few months and instead, practice self-love. Summer 2020, come at me.

One Direction is one of those bands that define moments of your childhood (like a first kiss or a new friend). Using these songs to describe my semester brings both waves of nostalgia and also clarity as I look back and unravel everything I’ve learned, taking many of those lessons with me into the future. Now you’ll have to excuse me but something’s telling me to go blast “What Makes You Beautiful” on my Google speaker.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

LaVonne Patoir is a senior at Florida State University, graduating in April 2021. She is passionate about writing about the BIPOC community, trends from the 2000s, and likes reading career or academic tips. When she's not working (or sleeping), she is either watching anime or attempting something she saw on Pinterest.
Her Campus at Florida State University.