Those who know me well can attest to the fact that I am a huge Star Wars fan, especially anyone that attended my themed birthday party in first grade. I grew up watching the films and they will always hold a special place in my heart. In the wake of the release of The Rise of Skywalker, I have ranked all eleven Star Wars films from worst to best.

11. Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)

Don’t get me wrong, I love all of these movies and it hurts me to rank any of them last on a list. But, in comparison, The Phantom Menace doesn’t measure up. The film was created on the foundation of great ideas that were ultimately executed poorly. Despite the film’s issues, meeting Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi in their youth, as well as Qui-Gon Jinn and Darth Maul (especially), are the reasons I love this movie.

10. Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002)

This movie is a bit of a mess and many would rank it below The Phantom Menace. I have it ranked slightly higher because I genuinely enjoy this film in all of its cringe. The CGI is extremely overdone, the acting is subpar, the love story feels forced, and the plot lines are all over the place. But, it’s an entertaining movie that provides scenes crucial to the understanding of Anakin’s eventual downfall.

9. Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Solo is a decent movie that is ranked low because it doesn’t do much to advance the storyline of The Skywalker Saga. It was interesting to learn more about the life of Han Solo and I think Alden Ehrenreich did a fantastic job of portraying a character that Harrison Ford basically created.

8. Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (2017)

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this film. I felt that there was not enough time spent explaining how Luke Skywalker had fallen from the victorious state we saw him in at the end of Return of the Jedi to a broken and cynical man at rock bottom. Despite that, I thought the movie was executed well. The force connection introduced between Kylo Ren and Rey added complexity and depth to their characters and the intense throne room sequence and battle on the salt planet attested to the incredible cinematography of the film. 

7. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

I thought this movie was generally filmed and executed well. But, any movie made outside the trilogies with different characters is going to be a risk. The reason I have it ranked fairly high is because of the outstanding Darth Vader massacre at the end of the film. I believe it is one of the best scenes, if not the best scene, in the franchise.

6. Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

I think everyone had unrealistic expectations for the final film of the saga and J.J. Abrams had the impossible job of fulfilling them. I thought the movie answered all of our burning questions, even if the material was a bit rushed and crammed into the run time. I felt that the character arc of Kylo Ren was executed well and that Rey’s key role in the saga was solidified brilliantly.

5. Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015)

I was completely transported back to my childhood while watching The Force Awakens. Although the film faced a lot of criticism for following the plotline of A New Hope, I think it’s what the audience needed to be introduced into the trilogy. They played the nostalgia card by having the characters we already know and love accompany the new ones.

4. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)

I ranked this film fourth solely because of the CGI and the fact that I have a hard time placing anything above the original trilogy. Otherwise, it would have been higher. The entire end of this film is a masterpiece. The musical score in combination with Anakin’s downfall, the execution of Order 66, and the heart-wrenching battle between Anakin and Obi-Wan Kenobi makes me feel more emotion than any other movie on this list.

3. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983)

I genuinely enjoy this entire movie, Ewoks and all. It is often criticized because the body of the film is all over the place. But, the end of Return of the Jedi wraps up the trilogy beautifully with the redemption of Darth Vader and restoration of peace in the galaxy. All of the puzzle pieces fit together and it leaves us feeling nostalgic for where it all began.

2. Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)

This is the film that started the phenomenon that IS Star Wars. Watching A New Hope is kind of emotional for me because it’s the reason this saga exists at all. I have nothing bad to say about this movie, the story is a classic.

1. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

In my opinion, this is more than just the best Star Wars movie: It is the greatest movie of all time. This film introduces Yoda, Lando Calrissian and the most shocking plot twist of all time. John Williams’ musical score combined with the tension of the battle scenes and the emotions shared between all of the characters makes this film a true cinematic masterpiece. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Editing, Writing & Media major at Florida State University
Her Campus at Florida State University.