Fall is my favorite time of year! The leaves turn colors and the weather gets cooler. The holidays are right around the corner and family and friends gather together. Here are some fun activities to get into the fall spirit.

Go Pumpkin Picking 

Although you have probably done this before, I promise it never gets old! Pumpkin patches have pumpkins of all different shapes, sizes and sometimes even colors. With so many options, bring family or friends along to help you choose the perfect one. Some pumpkin patches even offer hayrides. Once you have a pumpkin, it’s time for the best part: carving it! You can then save the pumpkin seeds for roasting. 

Start Cooking/Baking

With Thanksgiving nearby, it’s never too early. Dig deep into your pantry and find your grandma’s homemade recipes or even look up new ones. Traditional favorites include sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, any other type of casserole, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberries and turkey of course. If you’re looking for vegan options, there are plenty of recipes on the internet for vegetarian or tofu turkey. If you find yourself wanting to try something sweet, you can never go wrong with pie. Some of my personal favorites include pumpkin, apple, blueberry and chocolate, but there are so many kinds to choose from. 

Get Out Those Fall Decorations 

Make decorating your home fun by playing your favorite holiday music and inviting others over to help. There are many ways you can decorate but a few suggestions include draping lights around the house, placing pumpkins on the porch and hanging wreaths on the front door. Get out last year’s half-used, fall smelling candles and invest in cinnamon-scented broomsticks for the main rooms. These not only look festive but will make your house smell amazing! Go through storage and take out your skeletons, ghosts and spiders. Halloween is still fun to celebrate even if some trick-or-treaters choose to stay home this year. 

fall leaves on the ground
Photo by Pixabay from Pexels

Go Shopping 

It’s cool outside! Put away your shorts, tank tops and sandals to make room for warmer jeans, sweaters and boots. Make shopping for fall clothes exciting by taking friends with you. Even if you don’t buy anything, trying on clothes and window-shopping can still be fun. If you’re on a budget, you can even gather outfit ideas and go thrift-shopping. You can also get inspiration from stores for putting together outfits from your own closet. Wear accessories such as hats, flannels, scarves, beanies, scrunchies and long necklaces and earrings to make any outfit more seasonal. 

Enjoy the Weather 

There are so many activities you can do outdoors. This pandemic gives us even more of an incentive to get some fresh air and exercise outside. Some options include going on a nature hike, roasting marshmallows, telling stories around a campfire, going horseback riding, jumping in a pile of leaves and having a picnic. Bring your family, friends or dog with you to make it even more enjoyable. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTok and Pinterest!

Maddy Barlow is majoring in Interdisciplinary Medical Sciences at Florida State University.
Her Campus at Florida State University.