By no means am I a film expert, but I really enjoy watching movies and wanted to try to predict who would win the Oscars. I haven’t seen all these movies, but I have seen a good amount of them and done research on what experts and critics think will win. To form my educated predictions, I based my choices off of winners from the Golden Globe Awards, the Screen Actors Guild Awards and Critic’s Choice Awards. I also looked at the Atlantic’s predictions and the Academy’s leaked predictions on Twitter that were captured by IndieWire before they were deleted. Some of these predictions also come from my own personal opinion. The full list of categories and nominees can be found on the Oscars Nominees page. Of the main categories, I have all the nominees listed and my predictions to win in bold.

Marriage Story
Giphy

BEST PICTURE

Ford V Ferrari

The Irishman

Jojo Rabbit

Joker

Little Women

Marriage Story

1917

Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood

Parasite

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Antonio Banderas in Pain and Glory

Leonardo DiCaprio in Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood

Adam Driver in Marriage Story

Joaquin Phoenix in Joker

Jonathan Pryce in The Two Popes

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

Cynthia Erivo in Harriet

Scarlett Johansson in Marriage Story

Saoirse Ronan in Little Women

Charlize Theron in Bombshell

Renée Zellweger in Judy

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Tom Hanks in A Beautiful Day in The Neighborhood

Anthony Hopkins in The Two Popes

Al Pacino in The Irishman

Joe Pesci in The Irishman

Brad Pitt in Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Kathy Bates in Richard Jewell

Laura Dern in Marriage Story

Scarlett Johansson in Jojo Rabbit

Florence Pugh in Little Women

Margot Robbie in Bombshell

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

I Lost My Body

Klaus

Missing Link

Toy Story 4

Felicity Warner / HCM
The Oscars are going to be broadcasted live on Sunday, Feb. 9 on ABC at 8pm EST, but if you want to watch the red-carpet coverage be sure to turn on the TV at 6:30pm EST. During the awards ceremony, there will be a performance by Billie Eilish, as well as all five Music (Original Song) nominees. Be sure to write down your predictions and make time to watch one of the most popular film award ceremonies! The rest of my predictions for the less popular categories are listed below.

CINEMATOGRAPHY: 1917 – Roger Deakins

COSTUME DESIGN: Little Women – Jacqueline Durran

DIRECTING: Parasite – Bong Joon Ho

DOCUMENTARY (FEATURE): American Factory – Steven Bognar, Julia Reichert and Jeff Reichert

DOCUMENTARY (SHORT SUBJECT): Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You’re a Girl) – Carol Dysinger and Elena Andreicheva

FILM EDITING: Parasite – Yang Jin-mo

INTERNATIONAL FEATURE FILM: Parasite – South Korea; Directed by Bong Joon Ho

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING: Bombshell – Kazu Hiro, Anne Morgan and Vivian Baker

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE): Joker – Hildur Guðnadóttir

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG): “Stand Up” from Harriet – Joshuah Brian Campbell and Cynthia Erivo

PRODUCTION DESIGN: Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood – Production Design: Barbara Ling; Set Decoration: Nancy Haigh

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED): “Hair Love” – Matthew A. Cherry and Karen Rupert Toliver

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION): “Brotherhood” – Meryam Joobeur and Maria Gracia Turgeon

SOUND EDITING: 1917 – Oliver Tarney and Rachael Tate

SOUND MIXING: 1917 – Mark Taylor and Stuart Wilson

VISUAL EFFECTS: The Lion King – Robert Legato, Adam Valdez, Andrew R. Jones and Elliot Newman

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY): Jojo Rabbit – Screenplay by Taika Waititi

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY): Parasite – Screenplay by Bong Joon Ho and Han Jin Won; Story by Bong Joon Ho

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

Morgan is a freshman double majoring in Creative Writing and Psychology. She enjoys listening to King Princess on repeat, playing with her puppy Luna, and sleeping her problems away.
Her Campus at Florida State University.