There must be something in the water because two of the biggest female artists are making their return to music! The Barbadian singer Rihanna, and the American R&B singer SZA have both dropped two new singles.

Rihanna hasn’t put out music since her track in 2016 for the Star Trek Beyond film entitled “Sledgehammer,” but more noticeably her album, ANTI, in January of the same year. Similarly, SZA hasn’t dropped new music since the release of her album, CTRL, in June 2017. However, she did put out a newer version of the hit album entitled, CTRL (Deluxe), earlier this summer, which features the alternate version of her track “Love Galore,” as well as some unreleased songs including “2AM,” “Miles,” “Percolator,” “Tread Carefully,” “Awkward” and “Jodie.”

Rihanna’s single, “Lift Me Up,” is a track for the new Marvel film, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. As the Barbadian singer mentioned in a press release, her song “was written as a tribute to the extraordinary life and legacy of Chadwick Boseman,” the star of the first Black Panther film who prematurely passed two years ago. The full Black Panther: Wakanda Forever soundtrack will be released next Friday, Nov. 4. The release of new music after over six years of radio silence begs the question: is this a one-time deal or can we expect more from Rihanna? The artist put a pause on her music in order to focus on other avenues of her career including her beauty business, Fenty Beauty, as well as her lingerie brand Savage X Fenty. However, fans are crossing their fingers, hoping that this isn’t the last we see of the star.

SZA’s song, “Shirt,” sometimes referred to as “Bloodstain,” has been on fans’ minds for over a year now. The musical artist teased the song by including a snippet of the track at the end of her “Good Days” music video. Fans have been dying to hear the full version of the track, and their long-awaited dreams finally came true this Wednesday when SZA released a short clip on her Instagram playing the track once again with a caption stating, “Thursday 9PM PST / Friday 12AM EST PRESAVE LINK IN BIO.” As expected, fans took to the comments to express their joy for the anticipated song.

SZA has mentioned before that she has written countless songs for her upcoming album stating, “I don’t even know what this album is about and what it sounds like, which is why I had to go to the mode of what feels good to my brain and to my energy and the songs that I think are hot, I just have to go with them.” The question that continues to plague fans’ minds, is when can we expect the next studio album from the star? And is this the first of many singles for the potential next album? The answer of if and when we can expect more music from these artists is still ambiguous.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hey! I'm Isly and I am a freshman majoring in English (Editing, Writing, & Media) at Florida State University. Some of my interests include searching for new music, analyzing films, planning out my outfits, or fantasizing about my dream life.