MTV’s ‘Siesta Key’ Rundown: What You’ve Missed and What’s Still Heating Up

MTV’s sensational series Siesta Key is heating up much more than southwest Florida. The show itself is basically a mockup of Laguna Beach that documents the highs, lows and in-betweens of only the most exclusive friend group inhabiting the Floridian oasis. The main characters we get to know the best include Alex, a skirt-chasing trust fund Casanova who wants to have his cake and eat it too but just can’t seem to get his life together while he’s at it; Chloe, Alex’s on-again, off-again pot-stirring best friend who doesn’t know how to keep her mouth shut or her nose out of everyone else’s business; Kelsey, the “new girl” turned wannabe It-girl that kicks her party perfect boyfriend Garrett to the curb in favor of Alex only to be curved herself; the revenge-seeking Juliette, who once (twice, three times) dated Alex and is now hoping to start over with Garrett; Pauly Paul, Alex’s easy going, rowdy aspiring rapper cousin; and Brandon, a wannabe singer/musician who’s supposedly in love with engineering college graduate Madisson who also used to date, you guessed it, Alex!

At this point Siesta Key is about halfway through season 1B, so a whole lot of drama has gone down. Lucky for us, there’s much more to come. For starters, there are a few new characters that have popped up such as Tarik, Madisson’s delightfully feisty best friend, and Canvas, Chloe’s new manipulatively sneaky coworker at the Tiki Bar. These two give new life to a show that isn’t lacking any as it is. As far as the storyline goes, here’s a quick refresher of the last four episodes. 

Courtesy: MTV

Episode 1: “Much Ado About Juliette”

This episode serves as the season 1B premiere and it’s nothing less than addictive. We catch up with all of our favorite hot messes, like Alex who had recently gotten into a bar fight leaving him with his jaw wired shut, which honestly is kind of a plus for viewers if you know what I mean! Speaking of pluses, there was also some major screen time of Garrett coaching a youth football team in all of his bro-tank glory with Juliette watching from the sidelines while exchanging some “yeahs” with one of her stand in gal pals. Later on in the episode, the gang ended up at a bar together (shocker) where Kelsey and Garrett had a blowout fight and ended up sliding back to his crib to “talk things through.” Long story short, Kelsey “passed out” on his couch, Chloe found out and spilled the beans and Juliette was so over it. Besides that, there was also some not-so-mild flirting between Brandon and Canvas at a typical Siesta Key pool party to which we were all as shocked as Madisson was, especially when Brandon told Madisson he was “confused.” Oh yeah, and Alex left for law school with a single suitcase? He’s not fooling anyone.

Episode 2: Chloe’s Birthday Battle Royale

At this point in the show’s short lifetime, its characters have transformed from awkward to full-fledged reality TV fist-throwing fiends. Week two on Siesta Key featured a major throwdown between Kelsey, Madisson, Chloe and Juliette. MTV’s very own FBI agent, Chloe, threw herself a birthday bash at the Tiki Bar which the whole crew attended, including Alex, even though he literally just left for law school? At said birthday luau, Madisson made a point to confront Canvas by telling her to “step off” which probably means she has been listening to way too much of Brandon’s rap mixtape. Soon after, wired jaw Alex arrived at the party in style on his very expensive speedboat and Juliette practically went full-on heart eye emoji. Everyone at the party simultaneously realized that they hate Juliette when they saw her canoodling with Alex by the pier, and Chloe, Madisson and Kelsey partook in reality TV’s loudest trash talk session ever. Juliette overheard the smack talk and decided to do something about it, and by something I mean she threw herself at Kelsey, which turned out to be the shortest and lamest throwdown of the century. Everyone dispersed in anger and viewers were left to wonder whether or not everything would ever be the same. 

Episode 3: Juliette, Interrupted

Everyone is packing up and getting as far as they can from Siesta Key in this episode. Juliette headed back up to Florida State University, but guess who creepily followed her up for a surprise weekend? Alex. The two of them jumped from pregame to party together, flirting all the while, and Chloe made sure that Garrett heard all of the details, solidifying the ending of their short-lived relationship. Back in the Key, Brandon and Madisson desperately tried to get a hold on their rocky relationship, and it seemed as if it just might hang on. Madisson also got a job working as a wedding planning assistant for Alex’s mom of all people and Kelsey considered her options of going back into the modeling industry. Overall, this was pretty much a filler episode.

Episode 4: Kelsey’s Reality Bites

No one can catch a break on this show (aside from being reality TV stars), but Bradisson’s (Brandon + Madisson) fate as a couple was the main question of this episode. Kelsey and Madisson headed to the Big Apple with high hopes and oodles of confidence for modeling go-sees and engineering interviews. Unfortunately, the girls both struck out miserably, but in all honesty, would you hire a girl who showed up with a camera crew to an interview for your engineering company? I didn’t think so. Back in Siesta, Juliette came back home (didn’t she just leave?) to define her relationship with Alex just hours after officially breaking things off with Prince Charming Garrett. Later in the episode, a shirtless Brandon performed his first show to which Canvas attended and stood front row. But, just when we thought Canvas was the problem, Brandon exited the club with a blond bimbo which left Canvas totally peeved that he didn’t cheat on Madisson with her! Some guys, right? The episode concluded by showing Brandon leaving a crusty motel room the following morning and we just can’t wait to see who breaks the news to Madisson. 

Tawnie Simpson is a Senior Editing, Writing, and Media student at Florida State University. She enjoys (needs) a good cup of cold brew, she comes from a small town nobody knows called "about an hour south of Tampa" and she is often mistaken for 10-year-old Lindsay Lohan, but she's not complaining.
Her Campus at Florida State University.