Mrs. Killings: FSU’s Most Lovely Lady Talks Values and Valentine’s

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and while some of us are busy trying to find the perfect outfit for our romantic dinner date, others are more excited for February 15 when all the candy goes on sale.  If you are the type of lady that is already nauseated by the mere thought of Valentine’s Day, know you aren’t alone.  So many girls are dreading the day marked annually by giant teddy bears and heart shaped boxes.  So many girls are looking, longing even, to be loved. If you find yourself in desperate need of affection on Friday, I urge you to go to the Suwannee Room where you’ll find Mrs. Killings.  She will be sure to remind you that love isn’t that hard to find.  In fact, it’s readily available to each of us every single day.  All we have to do is go get it.

Her Campus (HC): So Mrs. Killings, what are your thoughts about your reputation on campus?

Mrs. Killings (MK): I didn’t really know I had one!  When students come and ask me to be a part of their projects and tell me they want to write articles about me I get so excited.  It really means a lot to me. Just when I think that everyone has cooled down because I’ve been here for so long, something else comes up.  I never dreamed that the professors and students would recognize me.  It makes my day to know that I’m important.

HC: So you don’t think of yourself as a campus superstar?

MK: Not usually, but the students and faculty make me feel real special all the time.  I recently met a student who graduated and was working at the hospital.  I didn’t know him, but he knew me!  Even off campus, when people who know me see me they will run up and hug me and show love.  I even hear of people in other countries knowing who I am because professors who teach abroad will bring pictures of us with them.  People will come up to my grandchildren and tell them that their granny is a celebrity at Florida State.  I’ve even had professors come up to me and tell me that I’ve come into contact with and met more people than Bobby Bowden.  I have been here longer!

HC: What kind of impact do you try to have on everyone around you?

MK: I try to make everyone feel happy and know that they do have someone at FSU that loves them.  I think the students and faculty like me so much because I show them that I care about them.  People tell me, “Ya know Mrs. Killings, if this company didn’t treat you right or wanted to fire you, there would be a riot!” 

HC: Why is love so special to you and why does it play such a big role in your life?

MK: I think love is very important.  Helping each other is just as important.  God is a good God because I was about to fall asleep when you came along and asked for this interview and gave me energy.  You brightened my day!  When you’re nice to someone, it comes back to you.  When I first came to Florida State 39 years ago it was much smaller and everyone gave love.  It didn’t matter what you did, you were someone special.  That just grew and grew.  You might have it all, but if you don’t love and have love, you’re not happy.

HC: Do you have a favorite Bible verse about love?

MK: I read the 23rd Psalm every day.  “The Lord is my shepherd.” I love that.  If you’ve got God, you got to have love.  It doesn’t matter what color you are, blue, black, green.  When I first came to Florida State I had a white co-worker who had cancer.  We had kids at the same time and we would do everything together.  She would always ask me, “What color is your blood?”  I would say “Red!” and she would say, “Mine is red too!” We’re all human. Even when I first started here in 1975 and students weren’t integrated, that never had anything to do with how I felt.  I did the same things I do now.  Sometimes I would even have students who would push back when I hugged them, but that still didn’t stop me.  It made me want to tell them more.

HC: How do you deal with students who don’t reciprocate your love?

MK:  It doesn’t bother me.  I still give them love because that’s me and you can’t take that away from me.  I treat y’all just like I treat my three children I raised.  Even if you don’t want to give love, when you come in here, you’re going to hear it.

HC: How many valentines do you think you’re going to have this year?

MK: Well, there are all of you who come into Suwannee throughout the day.  Then there are the professors and my babies that can’t make it to Suwannee.  Probably thousands, especially the handsome young men.  I call them my good looking babies.  I tell them, “Y’all better be glad I’m an old lady cause y’all are so handsome!”

HC: Do you have any Valentine’s Day plans?

MK: I’m going to spend the day with my mom at the nursing home.  I just want to give love on that day so bad.  Sometimes I don’t swipe cards and I just stand there and give love all day.  I love it when students will come and bring me chocolate candy.  I love chocolate with almonds in it!  Seeing y’all happy is what makes me happy.  That’s what keeps me going.  My heart goes out to all my students.  I love my job.

HC: So no plans on leaving us anytime soon?

MK: Oh no.  I plan on staying as long as my health allows.  Otherwise, I’m going to have to get fired in order to leave.  I have y’all, and that’s all I need.

Senior Editing, Writing, and Media major at Florida State University
Her Campus at Florida State University.