Moving to the Beat with Scott MacDonald

For most people dancing is an occasional weekend pastime. For Scott MacDonald, dancing means so much more. This form of expression has allowed MacDonald, a senior at Florida State, to lose and find himself through music and movement. Coming from a person who has seen MacDonald dance, believe me when I say that his energy and intensity can make sparks fly. Through the incredible dance group Corazón, he has been able to grow as a dancer and as an instructor. He sat down with Her Campus to share with us his life as a dancer. 

Her Campus (HC): When did you first fall in love with salsa?

Scott MacDonald (SM):  I first fell in love with salsa when my friend dragged me into the Latin Dance Club my sophomore year of high school. After learning the steps, I realized how much I was able to connect with the music and express myself.

HC: How long have you been dancing?

SM: I danced about two years in high school, just as a hobby. With Corazón, this is my third year dancing in a team atmosphere with specific training for social dancing and performances.

HC: What is Corazón and how did you get involved?

SM: The Corazón Dancers is an RSO (registered student organization) at FSU that practices LA style salsa. They are a dedicated group of students who not only train and perform nationally, but also teach the Tallahassee community. I got involved by randomly walking in on one of their practices in my dorm lounge, and auditioned for their team two weeks later.

HC: Give a brief description of your position in the group and the responsibilities that come with it.      

SM: This is my second year as the rehearsal director of Corazón. That basically means I am the head teacher to the team. I’m in charge of helping the team grow and improve in technique and choreography.

HC: What is it about salsa – or dancing in general, that inspires you and/or keeps you going?

SM: Dancing is the most amazing feeling to me. It is my outlet, my escape from reality, which allows me to express my deepest emotions inside. I love dancing because I get to share a connection with music, and allow the music to take control and move me how it wants to. I have never had a bigger passion in my life. I was born to dance.

HC: How would you characterize your style?

SM: My style of dance is very energetic and passionate. I like to always be moving, always spinning, always doing crazy tricks and turns. At the same time however, I keep my movements in sync with the music to try and match its overall tone or message.

HC: Have you traveled for any competitions or performances? How was that like?

SM: I’ve had the most amazing opportunity to perform at the Las Vegas Salsa Congress and the Puerto Rico Salsa Congress.

HC: What are your plans after graduation?

SM:  I have a job offer at a dance studio teaching salsa as soon as I graduate. I plan to teach while training to perform in as many places as I can to get my name out there, and one day open my own dance studio to share my passion with as many people I can come in contact with.

HC: How can readers get involved with this group?

SM: Definitely check us out on our Facebook page where we post our latest events and news!

Maria Losada is a senior at Florida State University pursuing a double major in International Affairs and Editing, Writing and Media. She is driven by her passion for writing and seeks to inspire others through it.  She loves learning about different cultures, languages, and especially enjoys tasting international cuisines!  On her down time you can catch her dancing salsa, reading articles from Her Campus FSU, or daydreaming about her next travel destination. She hopes to live in Washington D.C.  and work for an international development agency."Little by little, one travels far."
Kalie Marsch is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing and Media within the College of English. She aspires to work in magazine publishing and editing in the future, and lives for New York Fashion Week. When she's not busy with work or school, she loves to shop, read magazines and online style blogs, sit down with a good book, or go to the gym. She is obsessed with New York City and plans to move there after graduating from college. Kalie also loves being involved on campus and meeting new people. She is super excited to work with Her Campus and looks forward to helping make the FSU chapter the best it can be!