Movies You Should Watch This Valentine’s Day If You’re a Hopeless Romantic (Like Me)

Alright. I’m just going to come out and say it because I know a lot of us are thinking about it, especially us single ladies, and no I’m not alluding to Beyoncé’s iconic song. Here I go… Valentine’s Day is a giant reminder that we’re single. There I said it. Jeez.  Another year has come and gone, and I find myself accepting the fact that I am single, so this year I am going to head it off by watching some of my favorite rom-coms with my gal pals or by myself. So, join the movement and grab your wine…. and tissues as these are a few I’d recommend watching.

1. 10 Things I Hate About You 

First off, Heath Ledger. Second, Heath Ledger. Do I need to elaborate anymore? I miss him, but Julia Stiles is equally enticing as the one with her guard up and a lot of hate, yet beneath her strong exterior is a relatable vulnerability.

10 Things I Hate About You gif
Giphy

2. The Longest Ride

Scott Eastwood portraying a hot cowboy saying, “Let’s Go!” How much more of a description do you really need?

3. Valentine’s Day

Do you remember when Taylor Swift and Taylor Lautner were a couple? Okay well, this movie is actually when they were CAST as a couple among many other couples struggling with love.

4. Hitch

This is my favorite rom-com of all time! Will Smith is the “Love Doctor” and like… come on…he falls for career-focused, gossip columnist Sara (Eva Mendes), who is not at all pleased when she finds out she’s playing right into her own storyline. Please watch it as I guarantee it’s funny and sweet.

5. Notting Hill

“I’m just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.” One of the best lines ever! Julia Roberts makes vulnerability look palatable as her character says this to Hugh Grant’s character. Wow, I think one day I might want to say that…

Notting Hill gif
Giphy

6. The Notebook

Get those tissues ready for a movie where social classes collide and create a beautiful love story between Noah (Ryan Gosling) and Allie (Rachel McAdams).

The Notebook gif
Giphy

7. Bridesmaids

Great Galentine’s Day movie if you want a laugh out loud, cringy movie. It features Kristen Wiig and some of Hollywood’s greatest female comedians.

8. Fifty Shades of Grey

Perhaps for those who want to explore a little more of the adventurous and scandalous side of Valentine’s Day…feel free to close your eyes in some parts if you know what I mean. ;)

9. 13 Going On 30

Jennifer Garner plays a 13-year-old whose dream to be 30 becomes a reality and it’s harder than she ever imagined and that the process of growing into one’s life serves a purpose.

10. She’s The Man

Viola (Amanda Bynes) “convincingly” portrays herself as her brother, Sebastian, in order to play soccer on an all-boys high school team. Duke (Channing Tatum) is Sebastian’s roommate and also becomes Viola’s crush. Duke discovering tampons in Sebastian’s bag and the explanation and demonstration of use will forever be emblazoned on your mind.

She\'s The Man gif
Giphy

11. 500 Days of Summer

The quirky New Girl actress, Zoey Deschanel, reveals a different side of the “Jess” we know and love from New Girl. Summer and Tom, played by Zoey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, share their odd relationships and their different views on romance.

Honorable Mentions:

• Love Actually
  • You’ve Got Mail
  • To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before
  • How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
  • Can’t Buy Me Love

I KNOW. There are so many more movies that could be included, yes like John Hughes’ movies as well as the classics, but the list would go on forever! The movies listed above are just a few of my favs and I don’t doubt that you have more to add to this list!  My point is simply to convey that you are not alone and likely living among many hopeless romantics. So, on this Valentine’s Day embrace the romcoms with your girlfriends, your special someone or alone. And should these romcoms not restore your hope for romance, remember that in the end, Valentine’s Day is a made-up holiday that doesn’t even warrant federal closures…so don’t overthink it, just enjoy the movie.

All images courtesy of Giphy.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Hey, I'm Taylor Kirby! I'm a sophomore double majoring in Marketing & Advertising at FSU. You can find me in my room mourning the loss of "Vine" as I pretend I don't know almost every Tik Tok dance.
Her Campus at Florida State University.