The Most Important Quotes and Questions from the MSD CNN Town Hall Broadcast

On Feb. 21, 2018, Marjory Stoneman Douglas students marched to Florida’s state capital to demand change in gun regulation. An estimated five thousand students, teachers, parents and even political figures from across Florida joined the survivors. Later that night, the students, teachers, parents and others ralliers attended the CNN Town Hall press conference, in which these survivors, parents and teachers interrogated our nation’s leaders to demand change. Some noticeable people in attendance were Tallahassee mayor Andrew Gillum and Senator Marco Rubio. On the other hand, some people who were noticeably not in attendance were Florida Governor Rick Scott, Vice President Mike Pence and President Donald Trump. These brave students proved to the world that they will be the change that America so desperately needs, whether our current politicians like it or not. Here are some of the most powerful and important quotes and questions from the press conference.

Congressman Ted Deutch

Courtesy: Hollywood Reporter

At the start of the program, each congressman and senator was given two minutes to speak before being interviewed by the panel of students, teachers and parents. Congressman Ted Deutsch was quick to criticize those who have claimed it is “too soon to talk about preventing another tragedy like the one that struck our community from happening ever again.” To this Mr. Deutsch responded, “It is not too soon. It is too late for the seventeen lives that were lost.”   

Fred Guttenberg 

Courtesy: CNN

Fred Guttenberg is the father to 14-year-old Jaime who was murdered last week in the tragedy that occurred at Stoneman Douglas. When given the opportunity, Fred demanded Senator Rubio admit that guns played the main role in the calamity that took his daughter’s life and the lives of 16 others. He compelled the audience and the Senator by saying, “Look at me and tell me guns were the factor in the hunting of our kids in this school this week. And, look at me and tell me you accept it, and you will work with us to do something about guns.” 

Delaney Tarr

Courtesy: CNN >Courtesy: CNN

Delaney Tarr is a 17-year-old senior from Marjory Stoneman Douglas high school, and she is set on demanding change. In a speech delivered hours before the CNN Town Hall meeting, Delaney spoke powerful words to a crowd of reporters. In this passionate speech, she stated, “We’ve had enough of thoughts and prayers . . . To every lawmaker out there, no longer can you take money from the NRA. No longer can you fly under the radar doing whatever it is that you want to do. We are coming after every single one of you and demanding that you take action. Demanding that you make a change.”

Cameron Kasky

Courtesy: NYMag>Courtesy: NYMag

Seventeen-year-old Cameron Kasky made sure his voice was heard and demanded Senator Rubio to answer a pressing question that many Americans have been asking for a while. When given the opportunity to talk, Cameron said: “Anyone who is willing to show change, no matter where they’re from, anyone who is willing to start to make a difference is somebody we need on our side here. And this is about people who are for making a difference to save us and people who are against it and prefer money. So Senator Rubio, can you tell me right now that you will not accept a single donation from the NRA in the future?”

I'm a senior from Miami, FL majoring in Public Relations and pursuing a Master's degree in Integrated Marketing Communication. Think of me as the love child of Samantha Jones & Carrie Bradshaw, plus throw in a little Cuban spice.
Her Campus at Florida State University.